51: Forlorn Affairs

➖Afreen➖

Afreen➖

ABUJA, NIGERIA

I will make you regret everything!

Afreen slowly blinked her eyes open, her vision blurry and disoriented. She could hear muffled voices and the faint beeping of machines surrounding her. Confusion washed over her as she struggled to make sense of her surroundings. Memories of Rahma's house started to flood back to her, causing a wave of anxiety to rise within her.

Is Rahma still angry at her?

As she tried to move, she realized her body felt weak, as if it hadn't been used in a long time. Panic turned into fear, and Afreen's heart raced as she attempted to sit up. She winced in pain as the dull ache spread through her body, reminding her of the soreness of sitting in one position.

As she gradually regained awareness, fragments of dreams and memories floated through her mind. Images of a face, a face that seemed vaguely familiar yet distant, haunted her thoughts.

She turned to have a look at the room which felt familiar and cold.

"Easy, Afreen," a gentle voice soothed her, and she turned her head to see a nurse standing by her side. "You've been in a coma for four days. It's natural to feel weak and confused."

Afreen nodded weakly, her voice barely a whisper. "Wh-what happened?"

The nurse offered her a reassuring smile. "You were in an accident. But you're safe now. Just take it easy and give yourself some time to recover."

Afreen nodded again, her mind still hazy from the sedation. She closed her eyes, trying to process the information and regain her strength. Slowly, the fog began to lift, and she became more aware of her surroundings.

"Let me go and call the doctor.

Afreen watched as the nurse went out, and she slowly closed her eyes trying to remember all that happened, before she fell into unconsciousness.

She winced at the excruciating headache she was feeling, as a fragment of memory flash into her brain. Muhammad. Muhammad. "Stop!" She shouted just as she caught the glimpse of a figure entering into the  room.

"Tariq." She said in a slow voice, as he entered into the room, holding a sinister smile, they held a wickedness that made her heart race with fear.

"Isn't that Tariq? What is he doing here?"

Tariq approached her bedside, a cold smile playing on his lips. "Ah, my dear Afreen, it seems you've finally decided to rejoin the living. How disappointing," he sneered, his voice dripping with malice.