I'm a fool with (a goose and) a crush

literally me right now (i have 12 wips including this one)

title from 'Teenager in love' by Neon Trees

hanahaki au, major character death, SamSteve, one-sided SamBucky, past Stucky, ANGST :D, and one-sided relationship that i'm not gonna say cause i don't want to :)

i was working at a wedding yesterday and i got this idea plus i've never written a SamSteve fic nor a hanahaki au yet

When Bucky reunited with Steve, he thought that the two would eventually go back to their relationship prior to Bucky's 'death'.

"I'm sorry Buck, but I don't feel that way anymore." Steve said softly, his hand rubbing comfortably on Bucky's shoulder.

Bucky nodded and smiled politely. "That's ok, a lot of time has passed."

Steve smiled pitifully before leaving Bucky to wallow in his sadness.

~~~

"Good morning Barnes." Sam said when he and Steve entered the kitchen after their daily morning runs.

Bucky grunted before starting the coffee machine. The invention of the coffee machine has been his favourite since waking up, it's saved so many lives from Bucky's anger.

"He gets grumpy without his morning coffee." Steve said, pulling out a cup for his morning tea.

"You should come on runs with us in the mornings, wake you up a bit so you're less of an ass." Sam offered.

"I can't think of anything I'd like less." Bucky grumbled and the machine beeped signalling that the coffee was now ready. Bucky took his cup and disappeared to his room

"I don't think he likes me much." Sam said, looking at Bucky's retreating back.

Steve turned around and sipped his tea. "He's just warming up to being around people who aren't constantly trying to kill him. He'll be more relaxed soon."

"I'm going for a shower now, see you later?" Steve asked.

"Yeah, is the reservation still on for tonight?"

"Of course." Steve kissed Sams cheek before leaving the kitchen.

~~~

Bucky sat on his bed and sipped his coffee. He felt odd about Sam, not a bad feeling but it was an old one as well, one he hadn't felt in a long time. Not since-

It finally hit Bucky. He liked Sam. Just like how he had liked Steve back before the war.

Bucky sighed. "Of course."

Bucky's chest felt tight and he rubbed at it, thinking it was just the pull of his metal arm against his skin. Then the coughing started.

He had to put his cup down as the coughs shook his whole body, the coffee sloshing over and burning his hand. His throat was beginning to burn and a hot liquid coated his lips and chin. Tears welled in his eyes as the burning continued.

Finally, the coughing fit ended and he looked down at his hand. Petals coated in bright red blood rested. Bucky looked at the flower in confusion before taking his phone out.

After multiple failures, he had managed to type a semi-coherent sentence: wht dose it meanto cough flowers?

Multiple links popped up, all of them spouting the same thing: Hanahaki disease.

He clicked on the first link and started to read, the blood in his hand drying to an ugly brown. Bucky then clicked on another link. Then another. And another. Until all of the links were clicked on.