Volume 87: Instigation

Alice: I didn't make it in time.

Sinon watched the crying knight in golden armour clinging to the scarred body of the older swordsman in silence. At the knight's side, two huge dragons hung their heads, apparently sharing in the grief.

Sinon gently touched the rock top, Alice heard the soft landing and turned back to see Sinon standing with a grim expression on her face. Sinon began walking slowly toward the crying knight, knowing she had to explain that Bercouli was dead but Vecta was not.

Alice: Did you... come from the real world, as well?"

Sinon: yes, I am Sinon. I'm a sister in law of Asuna, Sachi, and Kirito and Yami's mates. I came here to rescue you and Bercouli from Vecta... I'm sorry that I wasn't able to make it in time.

Sinon bowed in apology to the girl. Alice just shook her head.

Alice: No... I was such a fool. How's the battle going?"

Sinon: Asuna, Sachi and the Human Empire are holding off the red forces from the real world... but just barely.

Alice: Then I will return north to them.

Alice said, getting unsteadily to her feet. She tried to head to one of the dragons, but Sinon stopped her.

Sinon: You can't do that. Alice, you need to continue south to the World's End Altar. If you can touch the console... no, the crystal panel on the altar, you should hear voices from the real world.

Alice: Why? Emperor Vecta is already dead?

Sinon: Because... because that's not true.

And then Sinon explained it all. About how if a real worlder died in the Underworld, they did not truly lose their life. That the enemy who dwelled in Vecta's body was surely coming to attack again in a different form this time.

Alice reacted with tremendous fury, as though emotions she'd just barely been holding in check all exploded at once.

Alice: So... the foe that Uncle gave his... life to slay is not even dead?! He's only temporarily vanished and will return to life as though nothing ever happened... I that what you are telling me?!

She shouted, her armour clanking as she closed in on Sinon.

Alice: That... that nonsense cannot be allowed to pass!! Then... why did Uncle... why did he have to die?! What is a duel when only one combatant is risking his life... but a folly, a farce?!

Her blue eyes filled with tears again, and all Sinon could do was stare.

Sinon took a deep breath and stared at Alice, who had fallen to her knees, sobbing

Sinon took a deep breath and stared at Alice, who had fallen to her knees, sobbing. She placed her hands on Alice's shoulders and said firmly.

Sinon: Yami went through that because he was trying to save you, Alice. He went through all of what they did for that purpose. Are you trying to say that the way he felt was false? And it's not just Yami. The same goes for your commander. He suffered all these wounds and ultimately gave his life to create the opportunity to save you. He gave us this valuable time to escape from the enemy's clutches.