Chapter 9

A silence filled my apartment for a few moments. I felt her eyes fixed on me as if she wanted me to start talking. I sighed.

"Why?" I asked staring at her "Why did you cheat on me? Was I not enough for you?

"None of that Alex" She said sadly "You were more than enough, I just made bad decisions"

"Bad decisions" I scoff "You knew exactly what you were doing Scarlett or you wouldn't have cheated on me for three months"

"I know, I know" She said getting closer to me "I was an idiot and I would love to turn back time so that wouldn't have happened"

"Why you did it?" I asked biting my lower lip.

"I don't want to say that he treated me differently, because no one has ever treated me better than you" She said taking my hand "It just happened. We met one day and went for coffee. We started talking more often until what you already know happened"

"And you didn't have the balls to break up with me?" I asked a little annoyed.

"No, I didn't want to lose you" She said, wiping some tears that began to fall down her cheeks.

"But you did it anyway. What did you expect, that the 3 of us would be happy?" I asked sarcastically "What did I do wrong that made you decide to cheat on me?"

Silence.

I lowered my head, my tears running down my cheeks just like Scarlett.

"I know I made you suffer and that I broke the trust you could have in me" She said between sobs "But I have never stopped loving you"

"Don't lie to me" I whispered "Please don't lie to me anymore"

"I'm not lying to you. Alex, my heart has never stopped beating for you" She said taking my hand shyly. She began to caress my knuckles, that simple touch made me calm down, until I felt it. Her ring. 

Her wedding ring.

"If your heart has never stopped beating for me, then tell me, why did you marry him?" I asked running my thumb over her ring.

"I'm going to sound like a bitch but..." She said with a sigh "I always thought I'd never see you again. By the time we finished I was heartbroken and the only person who was with me was him. I started generating more feelings and well you know the rest" She said with a nervous laugh.

"So you married him so you wouldn't be alone?" I asked confused and she looked at me frowning.

"No Alex. I didn't marry him so I wouldn't be alone" She answered annoyed "I married him because I came to love him"

"That was all I needed to hear" I said giving her a fake smile getting up from the couch to walk towards the kitchen.

"Do you feel something for me?" She asked following me.

I didn't answer.

"Alex, answer me" She said, standing in front of me.

"Leave me alone" I said curtly. I tried to walk to the living room but she grabbed me by my bicep.

"Answer me" She said in a serious tone "I had the balls to tell you what happened and now it's your turn"

I quickly turned towards her, staying a few inches from her face. She looked at me with a frown and I did the same.

"What the fuck does it matter what I feel?" I asked walking until she collided with the edge of the counter.

"It matters Alex" She said softly. I could feel her breath start to hitch "It matters to me"