Chapter 2

It's been a hell of a week, not even work has been able to distract me. I haven't talked to Scarlett but she wrote Lizzie to ask if I'd like to talk to Rose. Obviously I said yes since I'm traveling to Italy tomorrow. So right now I'm out of my house, sorry, from Scarlett's house with Lizzie to say goodbye to the little girl.

"Are you OK?" Lizzie asked worriedly and before I could answer her, the door opened.

"Hey guys, please come in" Chris said inviting us in "Scarlett and Rose are in the living room"

I nodded my head and went there. When I got to the living room Scarlett raised her head giving me a small smile which I didn't answer.

"ALEX!" Rose yelled "I missed you"

Rose ran to me and I grabbed her to pull her into a tight hug.

"I missed you too little girl" I said in a whisper.

When Rose broke the hug, she placed her hands on my cheeks and placed a kiss on my forehead.

"Are you going to stay?" She asked excited making my heart break.

"No little one. I'm here to say goodbye" I said and she looked at me confused "Bug... Tomorrow I'll go back to Italy"

"No Alex, please don't go" She said pouting "Please"

If I was already heartbroken, this situation made it even worse. I felt how Rose began to cry in my arms. I walked over to the couch to sit with her and I swear I could feel Scarlett's gaze on me.

"Little one, I promise we'll keep in touch" I said softly "I'll never forget you and if you want I can come visit you when you're with your dad in France. But your mom has to be okay with that."

"Mom?" She asked hopefully.

"Of course, honey" Scarlett replied with a broken voice.

"And I can visit you in Italy?" She ask shyly.

"Of course, we can do whatever you want when you're there" I said with a small smile.

Rose smiled widely wiping away some of the tears that fell down her cheeks.

"Come Rose, let's give mom and Alex a few minutes" Lizzie said taking the little girl's hand to go out to the garden with Chris.

When the three of them were outside, an awkward silence filled the place. I could feel Scarlett's eyes on me but I just watched Rose play with Chris and Lizzie.

"You know, sometimes I would like to believe that it's just a dream" I said breaking the silence but still not looking at her.

"I'm so sorry Alex" She said sobbing "I hate myself for that, it was a mistake. It meant nothing"

"It meant nothing?" I asked now looking at her letting out a frustrated giggle.

"Nothing" She answered.

"God, that makes it worse" I said getting to my feet "Did I ever mean anything to you?"

"Yes, yes you do" She answered also getting up.

"How the hell am I supposed to believe that?" I asked putting my hands on my waist.

"Because it's true and you know I love you" She said approaching me but I took a step back

"No, don't say that" I said pointing my finger at her "You have no idea what love is. You have no idea what it really means to love another person because when you do, you would rather die than hurt them."

"I'm sorry, I love you, I love you and you love me" She said approaching me resting her hands on my chest "You love me"

"Yes, you have no idea how much I love you" I said giving her a small smile "But it's something I'm going to have to get over"