1

JENNIE

I've never had a proper sleep for three days since I received the carrier pigeon's letter from the Cloud Gathering inn's manager.

I had yet to pull myself out from the delight that Lisa's letter brought me when I received the letter from the manager.

When I read it, I felt as if I was about to stop breathing.

Cold sweat covered my palms and forehead by the time I returned to my senses.

Many kinds of situations flashed in my mind. 

I knew that in order to reach Winterfell from the capital city, the fastest path was through the Chongshan ridge, on the road known as the road of no return.

Even I knew of that location's fearsome name. 

No matter how skilled Lisa may be, how long could she last under the hands of those desperate outlaws?

Fortunately, although father was no longer on favor with me as before, he did not make things difficult for me on this matter.

He immediately sent the most capable guards from the estate's guards-for-hire to search for traces of Lisa along the land and water routes towards the capital city.  

Even so, I still felt that it wasn't enough.

I would send someone to ask for any news about Lisa at the guards-for-hire every four hours, but I was disappointed every time.

I even wanted to use my final card— my spies, to look for Lisa too.

However, they must be kept secret, and Rose, my only middleman, wasn't here.

I could mobilize them myself, but that would definitely alert my father.  

That was my final card. 

If father were to become aware of its existence, I would even lose my chances to fight back.

Three restless days passed in this way.

I was about to break down; yet there was still no news about her.

I couldn't bear it anymore, but fortunately, mother came to see me at that moment to deliver father's order that I was no longer restricted.

I looked towards Alison, a servant girl who had always served me closely like Rose.

But... was she truly reliable?

I did not doubt her loyalty towards me. 

It's just that, compared to Rose, she did not think as far as her. She couldn't hide secrets, and her mouth moved faster than her mind.

After a sleepless night, a few bumps appeared by my lips the next morning.

"Lady, you didn't eat anything yesterday night, and look at your lips... Why not have a bowl of baihe porridge to clear the heat? The young master is a good person, the gods will watch over him. He will definitely return safely." Alison brought me a bowl of baihe porridge as she said with heartache.

"Take it away, I have no appetite."

"But... If the lady doesn't eat, Madam Ruby will worry."

"Then eat it for me. I have no appetite."

***

The next day...