55

Soon, the date where they agreed to set off with cultivator Jisoo arrived, but what came to Lisa and Jennie was a letter delivered by a house servant from the duke estate instead.

It was a letter that Jisoo wrote for Lisa.

In just a few sentences, Jisoo told Lisa that she heard from the Queen Dowager that Jackson would soon arrive in the province.

Jisoo decided to delay their departure so that Lisa could have a gathering with Jackson.

At the end of the letter, Jisoo added another sentence. 

Judging from the layout of this letter, this sentence was evidently added after the paper was already folded...

Jackson has already wedded Irene, the legitimate eldest granddaughter of Duke Hastings, and he will return home with his wife.

Sure enough, Lisa had a confounded look all over her face after reading the last sentence. 

She opened her mouth a little, then she looked towards Jennie with questions all over her eyes.

Jennie stopped Lisa from speaking in time; she handed a bag of silver to the house servant outside the door, closed it, then she sat Lisa down at the round table and asked, "What's the matter?"

Lisa handed Jisoo's letter to Jennie as she said, "Who's Duke Hastings ...?"

"Duke Hastings?

"Mm, who's that?"

Jennie thought for a moment, then she replied, "He's an old duke, and his position was sealed by the previous Emperor. The old Duke became a noble out of military merit, and his given land is the Hastings province. His surname is Bae..."

While speaking, Jennie finished reading the letter, and she was just as surprised when she read the last sentence.

Lisa's voice came again, "Didn't we hear that your Emperor is feeling unwell? Why is he making marriage arrangements for people again? He made Jackson marry Irene, the legitimate eldest granddaughter of Duke Hastings."

Jennie's fine brows furrowed slightly, "If I remember correctly... Duke Hastings is the uncle of her Lady the Highest Consort." 

"Huh? Which Highest Consort? Is it..." Lisa asked quickly in a hushed voice, "The Crown Prince's birth mother, the younger sister of Victor's father-in-law, that Highest Consort?"

"That's right."

"Hold on... Let me sort it through for a moment, I need to sort this through. The relationships in the circle of nobles is too messy, I have to sort it out."

Jennie sighed too. 

She put down the letter.

Lisa muttered to herself, "Edward II is the son of the Emperor's brother. As the Emperor's nephew, his connection with the Crown Prince should be... cousins with a fourth of blood relation. Since Jackson and Edward are cousins. Victor could count as the Crown Prince's in-law now, so now Jackson married this... Irene, then... do Jackson and Victor count as in-laws? If that counts, does Edward and Victor count as in-laws too? No comment..."

Now Lisa generally understood what the phrase 'nobility is a circle' meant.

Compared to Lisa's angle which was closer to 'gossip entertainment', Jennie was thinking more realistically.

Firstly, she asked Lisa if she wanted to keep this letter. 

Since it was a no, Jennie burned the letter.

She thought for a long while, then she said faintly, "Looks like His Majesty has decided to pass the throne to the Crown Prince. Perhaps this time... father is the one who made the right choice. We're the ones who lost."