63

The family feast was about to begin.

Jennie and Lisa came hand in hand, then they waited in the side hall. 

Jisoo and the Royal Princess were not here yet.

Jennie still felt rather nervous, but Lisa gave her a slight smile as a sign for her to relax.  

Under Lisa's suggestion, Jennie had chosen a compromise. 

She put on simple makeup, but more thought on her accessories. 

She chose to wear the golden hanging accessory with the deer stepping on a cloud that Lisa gave her, to express the formality of the occasion.

This was probably the safest option, but Jennie still felt uneasy. 

It'd be fine if the Princess and her daughter came with simple makeup later, since nothing could be said about her wearing a valuable accessory as a sign of respect when she had a humble status.

But if they came in splendid attire... she would appear to be not taking this seriously. 

What should she do if she was rebuked for this?

Lisa curved the corners of her lips. 

As if she had seen through the unease in Jennie's heart, she covered the back of Jennie's soft and weak hand with hers, then she comforted her in a volume that only the two of them could hear, "Cultivator Jisoo will be here too."

To the average person, these simple words might be understood as: since cultivator Jisoo is here, nothing will happen to them.  

Jennie rolled her eyes to the back of her head, then she flipped her hand around and pinched Lisa's palm, whispering, "Why didn't you say that earlier? You left me worrying for so long."

Lisa blinked, then she replied rather innocently, "Didn't I already say 'Is it that troublesome'? That was to tell you that the makeup for the banquet doesn't need to be that troublesome, you're the one who didn't listen, and you even got fierce at me instead..."

"...You!"

Lisa chuckled, then she said pacifyingly, "Alright, alright, it's not often that our far-sighted and prudent Lady Stark gets in a blunder. Just consider this as 'the one error the wise will make in a thousand decisions' while I made 'the one success the foolish will gain in a thousand errors'~."  

A while later, a house servant's voice travelled into the side hall, "Greetings to great master Jisoo."

Lisa finally let go of Jennie's hand, then she got up and came to the door. 

When the door opened, Jisoo came in by herself. 

Lisa and Jennie gave their courtesies together, then they called, "Cultivator."

Jisoo did not bring a horsetail whisk today, hence she made a spiritual sign before her chest and smiled, "There is no need for formalities, let's sit."

Jisoo took a few more looks at Lisa, "Your complexion has recovered slightly, but that is the work of food and sleep. You haven't been meditating these days, right?"

Lisa went "hehe", not hiding it at all, "This journey was truly too tiring, I want to rest for a while before practicing again."

Jisoo was not actually displeased, and she had no intentions to criticize either. 

Instead, she went along with Lisa by saying, "A proper balance between exertion and rest is good too."

"Please sit, cultivator." Lisa gestured Jisoo towards one of the master seats.