77

After answering Lisa's question, Jennie did not speak again. 

She flipped a cup over and filled it with water for herself. 

While she drank it, Lisa looked around the familiar yet unfamiliar room. 

She suddenly felt that she hadn't done well enough.

She had always thought that for Jennie to follow her and gradually detach from the Stark, although life was a little busier and more travel was involved, it wasn't too different from life in the estate.

Be it the Manoban residence in Driftmark or the Manoban residence in Fort Tryon, Lisa had always sought for the highest standards. 

She made Gojo pick the best furniture no matter the price, just to keep Jennie from having too big of a mental disconnect...

Before they returned to the estate, Lisa was still satisfied with their little home. 

Although it was a bit small land wise, they had everything that they should have.

Returning to the estate today after a long time away, she realized that it was still far from the same.

The present Lisa had gradually cultivated her scope too. 

She could tell just by sweeping a look around that although the furnishing here was simple, every item hid a secret. 

Those who weren't experts wouldn't be able to tell at all...

The furniture, displays, and decorative items were all things that couldn't be bought in the market. 

All of the porcelain and artworks here were honored by time. 

The vases and porcelain wares in Lisa's residence were exquisitely made, and it had a bright finish too... but compared to the things that were displayed in Jennie's room, it just lacked a bit of meaning.

It took Lisa a while to figure out that what was missing was something called 'taste'.

It was at this moment that Lisa finally realized that the phrase 'it takes three generations of people to raise a refined lady' was no exaggeration.

The difference between her present property and the Stark was probably the difference between an upstart and a tycoon family.

No wonder why Eddard had not 'cornered' her yet; what she took pride in right now was just child's play to him.

Although she thought this, Lisa simply felt that this had widened her horizons... 

The Stark's immense wealth that was accumulated through three generations was indeed extraordinary.

"Do you feel a little upset?" Lisa asked Jennie.

Jennie put down her cup. 

She mused for a moment, then she replied, "I guess it's unavoidable to feel that... I have managed this family business for three years after all. I still have some feelings for it, more or less. I used to attend to every issue myself regardless of its importance, but today... something so major has happened in the estate, yet I have only learned of it through a servant's mouth. It's a sort of feeling where... the tea cools once the person is gone."

Lisa took Jennie's hand and said, "Human relationships are fickle, only the person who drinks the water knows its temperature. This isn't anyone's fault, it's... a social phenomenon. It's only human to feel loss, but what's most important is if you can turn back and feel nothing on your conscience towards the estate. It has never been us abandoning this family or this place, it's that... some things have changed, so we had to avoid the edge too."