35

Jennie was chatting with Ruby when she suddenly heard the servant girl outside of the hall say 'young master'.

Jennie reflexively looked towards the doors, but Lisa did not come in even after a while, and the servant girl did not come in to give a report either.

Jennie turned to take a look at her mother, but it seemed that she had not heard the servant girl say 'young master'.

Jennie counted the time; she felt that it was rather strange for Lisa to come back so soon. 

Could she have misheard it?

"Mother, this daughter feels a little tired. I'd like to go back and rest, if mother could allow it."

"What's the matter? Do you feel uncomfortable anywhere? Get physician Jill to take a look at you..."

Ruby thought to herself: how did she get tired after such a short while? Could it be...

"It's just been a little tiring to be on the road for a few days, I should be fine after a good night's rest. There's no need to worry, mother."

"Oh..." 

A trace of disappointment brushed Ruby's eyes, but she refused to give up, "Call physician Jill to check on you once you're awake, it's always better to be careful."

"Understood, this daughter will leave now."

Jennie turned and left. 

She came outside the hall, but she did not see Lisa there.

The servant girl said, "Lady, the young master was here just now."  

"Why didn't he go in? Did he leave a message?"

"This maid wanted to give a notice at first, but the young master stopped me... He just stood at the doors for a while, then he left."

"Where did he go?"

The servant girl pointed somewhere, "He went in that direction."

Jennie looked at that direction; it was the way towards her courtyard. 

She knew then that Lisa had gone back to wait for her.

Jennie did not wait for a moment more; she lifted the hem of her skirt as she got down the platform, then she walked quickly towards her small courtyard.

***

Lisa was sitting at the table with knitted brows. 

As her mind gradually calmed down, she began to realize a 'reality'.

Kristen's 'disappearance' might be...

Lisa had not been in Kristen's room before, but the west residence once belonged to the estate.

According to the estate's usual habits, all of the master bedrooms had a side-room. 

Servant girls would stay there in turns to serve at any time.  

Kristen's room should have the same arrangement. 

Even if there was a 'highly skilled martial artist' in this world who could barge into Kristen's residence without alerting anyone, it'd be an incredible feat to be able to 'steal' a living person without making any noise.

Once Kristen made the slightest sound, the servant girl on night duty would definitely notice it.

If that person did have the skill to do so, why would they go through so much effort to run away with a young woman who lived alone?