33

The door opened with a creak.

Entering the room with breakfast, Jennie could see Lisa sprawling on the bed, wriggling around continuously.

Her gaze flickered, then she cast her gaze down slightly. 

She pressed her lips together a little, then she looked up again and called softly, "Awake?"

Hearing Jennie's voice, Lisa froze on the bed before she could put her behind down. 

Even her breathing had 'stopped'. 

She was in so much panic that she could hear her own disordered heartbeat.

Jennie placed the tray on the table, "It's already late in the morning, aren't you going to get out of bed? Come and eat already."

Lisa pricked her ears up. 

Sensing that there didn't seem to be that sort of emotion she had expected in Jennie's voice, she turned her head with some doubt.

Jennie was already sitting at the round table, waiting for her.

Lisa finally got up. 

Sitting cross-legged on the bed, she looked at Jennie without saying anything.

Delicate hands that were hidden under wide sleeves moved a little. 

They turned into fists, tightening for a moment, then they relaxed again...

"What's the matter? Come and eat."

"Oh, okay." 

Lisa moved at a snail's pace.

Only wearing her middle clothing, she slipped into her shoes, then she came to the round table. 

She sat down in front of Jennie.

Jennie got up, then she ladled a bowl of porridge for Lisa. 

She set it down in front of her, passed the chopsticks and spoon to her, then she set down the side dishes and a plate of four mantous.

"All of these are the kitchen auntie's best dishes. Try it?"

"Alright." 

Lisa reached for a mantou, but Jennie suddenly gave the back of her hand a light smack.

Lisa's hand jerked a little because of her hollow conscience. 

She looked uneasily at Jennie, not knowing what to do.

"Go wash your hands first." Jennie's voice turned even gentler.

"...Look at me, I forgot about that once I saw food. I, I'll go right now." 

Lisa squeezed out a stiff smile. 

She put down her chopsticks and spoon, then she went towards the folding screen.

Watching Lisa's back, Jennie let out a shallow and soundless sigh.

Once the sound of washing could be heard, Jennie went into a slight trance as she looked at the bowl of porridge in front of her.

Seeing that Jennie was lost in thought when she came out from behind the folding screen, Lisa asked, "What are you thinking about?"

"Mm?" 

Jennie returned to her senses, then she answered with a slight smile, "Nothing much. I was just thinking about what I should give mom for her birthday this year."

"Isn't that the eighteenth of the sixth month? It's still early."

"Not really, I usually start to prepare her present around this time every year. Mother has no son, and I'm her only daughter. Before I took charge of the family business, I was just a young lady who never left home. Of course I couldn't give her any rare presents, but whenever that day arrived, a lot of relatives and friends would come and visit. However, I was never able to give her a present that she could show to the guests. Ever since I took charge of the family business, I put a lot of thought into mother's birthday present each year. I guess it's a way to give some compensation for mother's regrets."