56

"I really envy you, Lis..."

"What fortune it is, to be able to grow old with the person you admire?"

"Lis, tell me, is this fate? I put my all into studying just so I could welcome her into the estate and grow old together, but I never expected that it would end up like this."

"Everyone envies my title as Rank three, but who knows about the misery in my heart? If I knew that this is how it ends, I should've just stayed a vagabond in the Pink inn."

"Lis, oh Lisa... If she wasn't there by my side, comforting me, encouraging me from time to time, I might not have necessarily made it to the top three."

Although I hadn't known Jackson for that many years, I had gone through a similar experience too. 

Additionally, I counted as a witness for the matter between Kristen and him.

After a few jars of wine, Jackson lost his mature composure from before. 

He started to weep while hugging a wine jar. 

He had probably expected that this would happen; otherwise, why would he book the entire place and choose the covered private room on the second floor?

Although I empathizes with him, I could see the deeper truth. 

I had no choice but to comfort him by saying 'fortune and misfortune are intertwined'.

To him, he was separated from Kristen simply because fate played tricks on people. 

This regret was enough for him to muse on for a lifetime. 

But to me, it was impossible for Kristen to have a result with Jackson from the very beginning... 

If Kristen was really a time traveller.

Kristen had countless way to shake Jackson off. 

For example, she would rather travel a thousand miles to become the duke's concubine in this province just to avoid Jackson ...

Though, I wasn't sure what version of this story Jackson had heard about that could get him to say no complaints at all.

Additionally, the 'encouragement' that Kristen gave was probably a decision made with a thorough knowledge of history...

In the end, when Jackson's emotions gradually steadied down, I took the chance to say, "One who abandons me, the yesterday that cannot be kept', I know that you have a lot of regrets regarding this matter, but you have to understand what they mean by spilled water is hard to keep. Although it's a little cold to say this, but I feel that... Instead of submerging yourself in the past, why not have a good look at the present. You have already married. That young lady has done nothing wrong, how could you bear to let her shoulder these inexplicable things? You keep saying that you envy me, but you actually know best just how I ended up together with my wife. In the very beginning, we were even less than strangers. A marriage of love at first sight is undoubtedly wonderful, but an absolute majority of the marriages in this world is no more than the will of our parents and the word of a matchmaker. Why are there some couples who love and respect each other while some appear to be together while being separate at heart?  These are all 'built' by one's own effort. Right now, you're newly married, so treat your legitimate wife well. This might turn out to be a good marriage. If you keep being like this, and your wife notices it, it might develop into a life-long misfortune for the both of you."

I didn't know how much of my words Jackson had registered. 

He fell silent for a long while once I was done, then he passed out on the table.