37

Victor kept the city under lock down for two entire days. 

Although the city gates opened on the third day, every carriage and rider that was leaving the city must go through inspections.

Tomorrow was Jennie and Lisa's set off date. 

Lisa had brought out the Duke's title after all; no matter how much Eddard didn't want Jennie to escape his control, he couldn't force her to stay.

Though, Lisa's words lingered in Jennie's mind the entire time. 'To show filial piety, one must obey their parents.'

Would it be unfilial to keep her mother in the dark about a situation that she knew was detrimental to her?  

Now that she thought about it carefully, what Lisa said made sense too. 

Her parents had lived together for most of their lives; must her mother only find out when the ship had sailed? 

Even if there was only a miniscule chance of danger, precautions should be made. .

There's no undoing death.

"...Alison."

"Yes, lady." Alison's voice travelled in through the bedroom door.

"Go and invite mother for me. Just say that I can't bear to leave her; if she could come over to rest in my place for tonight, I'd like to have some family talk with her."

"Understood."

Lisa paused from her luggage packing and asked, "Why, did you come around?"

"Is it a little late? We're going to set off tomorrow, and it's already so late at night. Will mother still come?"

"Relax, mom will definitely come."

Jennie was perplexed, "What makes you so sure?"

Lisa said, "It's very simple. When kids like you who are always independent and don't know how to 'act spoiled' suddenly make a request to their parent, they will most likely agree even if it's a little overboard. Let alone a childish request to sleep together with your mom? She cares for you from the bottom of her heart. Even if you asked two hours later than this, mom will definitely come here as long as Alison delivers the message."

Jennie's face turned somewhat red as she listened to Lisa. 

It made sense, yes, but getting called a 'kid' was a little embarrassing for her, more or less.

She was already twenty-one. 

That's a mother's age, so how could she be a 'kid'?

Perhaps Lisa was the only person throughout the kingdom who could call her a 'kid' so naturally.

Embarrassment aside, a sweet, honey-like feeling emerged in Jennie's heart too. 

To feel protected by someone so unintentionally, it's really...  

"If mother comes over, you'll have to put up with... the side-room tonight." Jennie said with a red face.

"Alright~ We're almost done packing anyways, so just have a good chat with mom. Think properly for what you should say..."  

"Mm."

However, Lisa seemed to still have worries in mind.

She walked up to Jennie, placed her hands on her shoulders, then she said seriously while making eye contact with her, "I think that mom hasn't gotten so old that she can't take the slightest shock yet. Please believe in her. You don't need to sugar coat some things, just present it to her in the most realistic way."