66

Ten days later....

Me and my Master had been in the horse carriage together pretty much the entire time.

Although we appeared to have the difference of gender to the world outside, since the kingdom was in mourning and Master had a very high prestige in the General estate, the soldiers only felt that she was enduring the situation for the greater picture.

Additionally, I had changed into Taoist robes too... 

That's why they didn't think in a weird direction.  

These days, travelling at night was an often occurrence. 

Even when we did set up camp for the night, we would only rest for two hours at most, unless the weather was so extreme that travel was impossible.

Me and Master were doing considerably fine, since we could still rest in the swaying carriage even during hurried journey. 

However, the soldiers outside of the carriages truly had it rough.  

Later on, even I couldn't help but sigh, the elite soldiers under the General estate are truly well trained, just this resilience alone was something that a lot of people couldn't attain.

Inside the carriage, a muffled patter could be heard on the roof above our heads.

Sitting with crossed legs, Master slowly opened her eyes...

I opened the carriage window by a crack and looked outside...

I let down the window again, then said to her, "Master, it's raining outside again."

Hearing that from me concern flashed in her calm eyes. 

Her relaxed brows furrowed together too, and her lips were pressed into a straight line. 

Who knows what she was thinking about.  

I became lost in thought too. 

A moment later, I finally continued, "Master, isn't this rain... falling a little too frequently?"

She fell silent for a long while, then she said faintly, "We have experienced more rain on this journey than there was rainfall in Alaris for the past ten years. The heavens have shown an abnormal sign, but I... am unable to figure out heaven's design."  

I fell silent too.

Could it be that the broom star could actually influence the magnetic field of this planet?

Back on earth, I had read some folk science articles before. 

They said that there wasn't completely no scientific basis in the idea of comets causing abnormalities when they brush past the earth, since comets might be able to influence the earth's magnetic field, causing some extreme or unusual changes in the climate, and thus bring forth 'misfortune'.

Based on my observations, Alaris' precipitation was clearly below four hundred millimetres, and it could be generally classified as a semi-arid region, or even somewhat barren.

It was very hard for agriculture to develop here... and it was a much better place to develop animal husbandry instead.

When we were travelling to Alaris from the Fort Tryon, there had not been a single drop of rain during our nearly fifty day journey.

There were practically no rivers to be found within Alaris either. 

Wide and deep wells were more commonly seen within and outside of the city, and all of the water used by the common folks was groundwater.