15

LISA

Her face was still pale, but she smiled.

That smile was full of relief and contentment.

I could see it in my eyes and feel it in my heart.

I am not stupid.

I could sense that she had always treated me differently from others, and I could sense her sincere desire to take me as her disciple.

I had not agreed with her the whole time for a few reasons.

Firstly, the environment I am in and the education I received raised me as someone who believed in science.

I respected matters of metaphysics, but I would never participate in them voluntarily.

When it comes to the concepts of gods, ghosts, and monsters, I have always kept a respectful distance from them.

I felt that a faithless person like myself wasn't very suitable to take her as my teacher when she was at the level of a great master.

Additionally, the relationship between a master and disciple in this era was different from that between a teacher and student on earth.

Over here, the bond between a master and disciple was similar to that of a family without any blood relations.

This was too heavy for me.

She had given me so much care, and I did not want to upset her either.

One Jennie was already enough to make my conviction to go home waver.

Adding in one more person who sincerely and selflessly cared for me...

Once I chose to take her as my teacher, no matter if I chose to go home or stay in the end, I would be unrighteous and unfilial in both cases.

A few drops of water were a carryable weight for a rootless duckweed, but it would sink with things with too much weight.

I felt that I was just like that duckweed; the more time passed, the less control I had over myself.

When I witnessed everything that she had done for me and got to know her true ability through 'scientific' methods, I couldn't resist taking her as my teacher.

She told me to go back first, as she needs to meditate and regulate her breathing for a while.

I left the medicine room, then returned to the small courtyard.

I wanted to tell Jennie about everything that happened today, but the servant girl who was presently cleaning the place informed me that Jennie wasn't here.

"Where did she go? To the main courtyard?"

"Answering the young master, the lady has gone out of the estate."

"She left. Why didn't she call me to go with her? What is she doing out on such a cold day?"

"Has the young master forgotten? After the lantern festival yesterday, today would count as the end of the 'first month'. The lady's rest period is over too. Today's the day where the lady heads out to all of the big shops in the city and gives red packets to the workers for the new year, a bonus for an 'auspicious start'. The lady headed out with Rose and a few big house servants right after the young master left today."

I smacked my forehead.

How could I have forgotten?

Dad had given the authority of the estate to Jennie again since he fell ill last time.