38

Lisa and Jennie's group entered the inn under Gojo's lead, but they did not actually receive the 'warm welcome' that they usually received in other inns.

Standing behind the counter, the manager took a look up while working on the abacus, gave Lisa a nod, then he returned to his work again.

The store clerk simply swept a look at Lisa and the others, then he took down the towel from his shoulder and asked, "The few sirs, would you like to eat or to rest first?"

"A meal first, then. We are actually hungry at the moment." Lisa answered.

"Would you like to eat in the hall or have it delivered to your room when it's done?"

Lisa said to the four guards, "The four of you can eat in the hall like usual. Order the good stuff, it's been a long journey for all of you. The rest of us will eat in our rooms. My wife and I will share a room, the four of you will share one, physician Jill will have her own room, and the remaining rooms... the four young ladies will split between two rooms. Serve up four portions."

"Understood."

The four guards were evidently already used to Lisa's arrangements.

They simply thought that since Lisa and Jennie were extremely close, they had to eat together during meals too. 

They have never felt that it was because Lisa was unwilling to eat with them like a haughty master.

And besides, they could be more at ease if Lisa wasn't there.  

Supporting Jennie's arm, Lisa was about to go upstairs together when she paused to ask, "Can we leave our items in this esteemed inn's care?"

"Naturally. Please rest assured, sir. All of the store clerks in our inn are physically skilled, you can absolutely rest assured that your items will be in good care here."  

"I'll leave it in your care, then." 

Lisa gave a slight smile, then she turned to the four guards, "There will be people taking care of our stuff, so all of you can really relax tonight. Just drink to your heart's content if you want to. My wife and I plan to rest and reorganize for a few days before handling serious business again, so no one will bother you even if you sleep for the entire day tomorrow."

Overjoyed, the four of them answered happily, "Thank you Master, thank you Madam!"

Lisa and Jennie went to their room.

From the moment they opened the door, the décor that greeted them put a shine in their eyes.

A partition was arranged in front of the door. 

It was made with parchment unique to Fort Tryon, and the embroidery on it portrayed the image of half a castle city hidden in the sea of sand. 

Winds shifted the sand dunes, and a red sun hung in the sky.

Lisa went "now that suits the place" as she closed the door behind her. 

She went up to the partition, felt it with her hands, then she took a sniff. 

It had the slightly fishy smell of mutton, though it actually had the faint fragrance of sandalwood too.

Tracing the outline of the red sun with her finger, a poem that complemented this partition very well flashed in her mind.

And so, she recited, "A lone column of smoke hangs straight in the vast desert; round is the sun as it sets by the endless river."

Standing next to Lisa, Jennie observed the partition in front of them, then she smiled, "The word 'straight' in this phrase can be described as the final touch that puts life in a painting. It even brings forth the misty hot air of the desert. Is this what you thought of in a moment of inspiration? Or is it... a quote from a wise scholar again?"