36

Eddard slammed down his chopsticks, then he said sternly, "You've really gotten more and more unruly. Your mom and I have not put down our chopsticks yet, and you already can't wait to start babbling on? Do you need to be 'charged for disobedience' in order to learn from your mistakes?"

Ruby grabbed Eddard's arm right away, "Husband, is there a need to say that? Lisa is still a child..."

Jennie didn't have a good look on her face either. 

She got up, bowed, then she said, "Please forgive, father. Consider that this is husband's first offence, and he was just trying to protect this daughter in a moment of desperation... please forgive husband this once."

Lisa did not understand why Ruby and Jennie would get so nervous all of a sudden, but she felt that it was probably due to the 'charge of disobedience' that Eddard mentioned.

Lisa could only guess what that meant, but she did not understand its significance.  

Meeting Jennie's gaze, Lisa sensed what emotion she was trying to relay. 

She put her hands together and bowed towards Eddard too, "Please forgive, father. This son didn't mean to say that, may father understand."

Although Lisa didn't want to lower her head in front of Eddard from the bottom of her heart, she had complete trust in Jennie. 

She believed that Jennie would never do anything that's detrimental to her.

Eddard's expression eased, then he said pensively, "Go there together tomorrow, and pack up your so-called 'grievance'. Don't ruin the clan's century-old business with a momentary temper. Do you understand?"

Lisa gripped her fists tightly. 

She kept her head lowered without responding.

Jennie answered, "Yes, father."

Ruby let out a breath, then she said to Lisa and Jennie, "The two of you can go back first, I'll be here."

"Understood, this daughter will leave now."

"...This son will leave now."

Lisa and Jennie left the dining hall one after the other.

Lisa had sharp hearing, hence she could hear Ruby complaining quietly, "Eddard, aren't you making a big deal over a small issue? If you charged Lisa for disobedience... What will happen to our daughter?"

Lisa could only hear a cold snort from Eddard before the servant girls closed the dining hall's doors. 

She couldn't hear the rest of the conversation any more.

Lisa took Jennie's hand, then they returned to the bedroom in silence.

Lisa couldn't stop herself from asking, "What's a 'charge of disobedience'?"

Jennie was somewhat surprised. 

She asked, "Does this charge no longer exist where you're from?"

Lisa shook her head.

Jennie let out a sigh, then she said, "My dad, he... has probably started to have ideas for you. From now on, don't talk back to him no matter what, and don't get into any conflict with him... Just leave the arguing to me from now on."

"What? Is it because of that 'charge of disobedience'? What exactly is that charge?"  

"A charge of disobedience is the crime of being unfilial, and it's usually used against sons. It is very rarely used on daughters and sons-in-law. It's just that you have a rather unique situation; in the kingdom's laws, son-in-laws who are matrilocally married can be considered sons. The charge of disobedience refers to situations where sons are unfilial to their aged fathers. If a son is unmoved by beatings or turns a deaf ear to reprimands, a father who can no longer bear it may make a complaint to the court of law. There is no need for a lawyer or a document. The father may simply tell the lords in the government office that he has come to make a charge of disobedience. It is usually done by biological fathers, but if the father is no longer around and there is only a mother left at home, the mother's brother may do it for her. If any parent makes a report of an injury, the person charged with disobedience will most likely get beaten to death by officers. Even if there are no injuries to the parents, someone who is charged with disobedience will still get ten strikes and jail time for at least half a month. A charge of disobedience is a very shameful thing. If a family is unfortunate enough to have an unfilial son, they will be mocked by their relatives and neighbors. The punishment is severe too, so no one will send their child to court unless there is no alternative. Once they are sent to court, the accused will have no chance of defending themselves."