10

Stark Estate

"Mother. Why was there no notice? This daughter should have welcomed you outside."

Jennie was presently reading inside the room. Seeing that Ruby was here, she put down her book and got up to welcome her.

"We're a family, you shouldn't always stick to such formalities here. Learn from Lisa more, he's much better than you in this respect."

"Yes, mother."

Ruby was in a great mood. 

She pulled Jennie to the round table, sat down together, then she patted the back of Jennie's hand as she said happily, "Oh daughter, your dad has decided to hand the authority over the family to you after all. I told your dad what the two physicians said yesterday, and I coaxed him a good while too. Your dad has finally relented. He also wanted me to tell you that he didn't do this to punish you, but to protect you. It was such a big careless mistake after all; your dad can't turn a blind eye to it as the head of the main family. Instead of waiting for those people in the branch families to stir up trouble, it's better if your dad gives you punishment first in order to stuff their mouths."

"May mother thank father for this daughter."

"There's no need to say such things among your family. Your dad still cares for you the most, and you will definitely become the head of the family in the end. Who else can he pass that position on to? We can't have any more children at our age now."

Hearing that from Ruby, melancholy filled Jennie's heart. She had already gotten over Eddard's change, but seeing her mother like this, Jennie's heart ached...

Her mother always kept the word 'family' by her mouth. 

If she found out that her husband who she had been with for a lifetime had already stopped seeing them as his family, how upset would she feel once he carries that child back to the estate one day?

Ruby took a sip of tea, then she continued, "The most important issue right now is your belly. It has already been more than half a year since you married Lisa, but why is there still no movement in your belly? Are you cold towards him, or is he not diligent enough?

"Mother..."

"You two have been married for so long already, what's there to be shy about? Mom is an experienced person, I won't harm you! When it comes to giving birth, it's just a tour around the gates of the underworld. If it goes well, it's done, and if it's not, it's goodbye to the world. That's why childbirth must be done early, and especially the first one. Your marriage was already late in the first place. At your age, the married women in ordinary families already have enough kids. You're twenty-one now, how much longer are you going to delay this for?"  

"...Understood, mother."

Seeing the troubled look on her daughter's face, Ruby 'understood' at once. 

She held Jennie's hand in her palms as she asked seriously in a hushed voice, "Daughter, be honest with your mom."

"Hmm."

"Do you have some unmentionable secret?"

"...This daughter does not."

Seeing that Jennie wasn't very confident in her answer, Ruby was even more certain now. 

She cleared her throat, then she pressed on, "Don't hide it from mom, this is the most important event in your life. Your position isn't secure right now; things will only settle down once you have a legitimate son. You have to seize the opportunity while dad and mom can still hold up the sky for you. If you delay it until we're both gone, what are you going to do if those people from the branch families bully you? Be honest with your mom, is it that Lisa can't do it?!"