40

Jennie's heart seized for a moment; she actually felt a clear sort of pain.

Who knows when it started, but Lisa's true identity had become a knife suspended above Jennie's heart.

If Lisa's identity was exposed, according to the kingdom's laws, she would undoubtedly be sentenced to death for marrying a woman as a woman.

This was a secret that Jennie swore to protect for the rest of her life. 

She would never say those four words, and she wouldn't even think about it either.

Jennie wasn't as 'action-before-thought' like Lisa, who would even get her to cross dress too.

Jennie was terrified that if someone around her heard the words 'crossdressing as a man', it would become some sort of hint...

However, the mysterious Kristen said those words on such an occasion. 

Jennie was so anxious that it felt painful.

Even so, she had been through the hardships of the market for three years after all. 

Tolerating the pain in her heart, her expression remained unchanged as she swept a look at Kristen, then she said in surprise, "Miss Kristen is quite daring."

Crossdressing had always been a shocking matter, so it should be right for her to say this...

"You flatter me, I was just forced by my circumstances... It's hard for a woman to take a single step outside, it left me no choice."

Jennie relaxed slightly when she sensed that Kristen was not implying something else. 

She changed the topic unnoticeably next, "Allow this common woman to ask a question..."

"Alright."

"Why did Miss Kristen leave without saying goodbye? And how did you become Lady Swan?"

Kristen fell silent for a moment.

Looking at Jennie, she asked in return, "Is this question... something that puzzles the lady, or is it asked for someone else?"

The someone else that Kristen mentioned... who could it be? Jackson, or Lisa?

Perhaps people on different standpoints would have different answers for this question.

"This common woman is an acquaintance of Miss Kristen. When you suddenly left without a goodbye, shouldn't this common woman ask why?"  

Kristen said faintly, "As long as it's what His Grace wants, be it objects, or people, there is nothing that he cannot have. As for why I left without a goodbye... Isn't that ending the most ideal scenario for you and Master Manoban?"

Indeed, from a merchant's standpoint, Jennie also felt that this development was the most beneficial for Lisa and herself.

Regarding this matter, Jennie respected Lisa's decision, and she rarely made a stand, but that did not mean that she agreed...

Jennie had always felt that Kristen's identity was too unique and conspicuous. 

It wasn't very suitable for her to be a member of the small estate, though Jennie could admit that Kristen was indeed outstanding.

In the kingdom, one should not choose people the way Lisa did, by only choosing based on a person's merits...

There were still a lot of problems that required consideration. 

Jennie was relieved when Kristen left.

Otherwise, with Jackson's personality, he would surely take Kristen as his legitimate wife.