Don't let the death of a family member eventually cut the ties

“They do not remember us anymore, since our father passed away.”

Are we not familiar with such line? Do we not hear it from someone in our family? It is quite disheartening to know that this is happening in most Muslim families.

I wouldn’t want to describe and elaborate the situations that such families encounter anymore but I would like to share this beautiful character of Hasan Ibn Ali Radiyallahu Anhu that would remind you and make you think of how one should be towards the family of a relatives of ours leaves after his/her death.

Once, Mu’awiyah Radiyallahu Anhu inquired from a resident of Makkah about Hasan Ibn Ali’s RA daily routine.

The person told Mu’awiyah RA that Hasan stayed in the masjid remembering Allah Azza Wa Jall after fajr until it was sunrise, at which time he would offer shuruq prayers.

He would then be surrounded by tribal elders for some time. Afterwards, he would visit the wives of the Prophet Muhammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wassalaam. Sometimes, he would also take them gifts. After visiting them, Hasan would return home.

______

Look at the beautiful thing that Hasan Ibn Ali consistently did after the death of the Prophet Muhammad Sallallahu Alaihi Wassalaam

This quality and character can be seen in almost all the Sahabah RA, remember how Abu Bakr As Sideeq RA would go and take care of the old woman she would serve food and clean her house for everyday without her even knowing?

Ponder about it my dear brothers and sisters in Islam, nowadays, we need to post on facebook a fundraiser to take care of a family left by a brother, (there is nothing wrong about it) but where are the immediate family of these people? I hope you all are getting my point here.

Don’t let the death of a family member eventually cut the ties of you and them, rather make this a reason to strengthen your ties with them, visit them, inquire about them, it doesn’t take as much to ask how they are with all the gadgets that technology has given us.

_____

And we pray that Allah rekindles our heart to be able to realize how much we have gone far from our family relatives just because the head of their family have passed away.

May Allah forgive us and strengthen us through His Guidance and Blessings. Amin

-Zohayma
Story was taken from Ibn Kathir, Al Bidayah wa Al Nihayah, 8:38