An short article on strife and success

بِسْمِ اللهِ الرَّحْمٰنِ الرَّحِيْمِ 
In the name of Allah, the most Gracious, the most Merciful

There is a story that Baba once told me about the famous boxer, Muhammad Ali, that has really impacted me. When he received news that a "Hollywood walk of fame" star will be done in his name, he refused, saying he does not want the name 'Muhammad' to be stepped on. (Context: all of the walk of fame stars are embedded and laid on the ground in the sidewalks along Hollywood Boulevard.)

This "worldly" recognition, despite it being alluring, meant nothing to him, especially if it meant disrespecting his faith. Because of the firmness in his decision, in 2002, his star was ceremoniously presented on an easel, as opposed to being unveiled on the ground like the others, and then put on the wall of the Dolby Theatre.

His unwavering love and respect for his Deen literally elevated the name 'Muhammad'.

This taught me that when we stand our ground for Allah SWT, we will not only receive approval from the Creator, but respect from the creation will also follow suit. 

I would remember this story from time to time, especially when I face a predicament, usually in a social context surrounding my faith. Here's an example:

I was out for dinner with a friend in London, and it was time to pray Maghrib. I glanced at my watch to see the time, and I knew for a fact that even if I were to rush home, I would not be able to make it so the only way was to find a place to pray outside. But London is not exactly known for having mosques in abundance, and so my mind raced back and forth trying to find a solution. My friend could sense something was worrying me, but I reassured her saying it was nothing.

By the time we paid for food and left the restaurant, my heart felt absolutely heavy knowing that I will miss my Maghrib if I don't take any action now. That was when I finally confessed to my friend, admitting that I actually need to find a place to pray. She then graciously said, "You should have said so! Let's go back to the restaurant to see if they have a space for you."

Alhamdulillah, one of the staff said that they actually do have a storeroom in the basement where it's clean and unoccupied. With kindness, he then told me that I could use it, and to take my time praying. That evening, when my forehead touched the ground during sujood, tears started streaming down my face.

It did because I felt that immense sweetness, that indescribable emotion of having fought my own little jihad for His sake. 

-

There will be many moments in our lives where we will find ourselves in situations that may be awkward or tricky, moments where we will have to do something against the norm in the name of our Deen, and I pray with all of my heart that when Allah SWT places us in these situations, no matter how difficult it may be, we will still choose our Rabb, we will still choose our faith.

Some of us will do it standing tall and firmly like Muhammad Ali.
Some of us will sway, but will still ultimately fight through it. Like me.

But what I can say for certain is: when Allah SWT places us in those situations, circumstances where we have to choose between the Dunia and this Deen, always choose the forever rather than the temporary. Always choose to be elevated by Allah SWT rather than to be trampled on by society.

To make that decision can be difficult, but remember that the One giving you this test is ar-Rahman! The Most Merciful! And so He will never test a soul more than what it can bear.

Meaning to say you have everything within you to not only overcome this, but to also thrive and succeed! 

Whether it is asking for a prayer room in your workplace, choosing to have your Hijab on with your uniform, not shaking hands with people of the opposite gender, not participating in events where there will be alcohol etc etc - all of these are examples of the decisions we can make for ourselves, for His sake. 

Yes, it won't be easy. But it will be worth it!