3 Lessons for the Soul From Surah Al-Fil (The Elephant)

Lesson One: Makkah is A Blessed Land

The 105th chapter in the Quran highlights how Allah s.w.t safeguards the city of Makkah from an evil tyrant who wishes to bring harm to the land. This is proof that Allah’s house of worship, the Kaabah, will always be under his protection. It also illustrated His promise to Prophet Ibrahim a.s. to protect Makkah as it is the beloved land of Allah and His prophets a.s.

While standing at a location in al-Hazwarah (a place in Makkah), Rasulullah s.a.w. said: 

وَاللَّهِ إِنَّكِ لَخَيْرُ أَرْضِ اللَّهِ وَأَحَبُّ أَرْضِ اللَّهِ إِلَيَّ وَاللَّهِ لَوْلاَ أَنِّي أُخْرِجْتُ مِنْكِ مَا خَرَجْتُ

By Allah, you are the best land of Allah and the dearest of the land of Allah to me. By Allah, had I not been expelled from you, I would never have left.” 

(Sunan Ibn Majah)

Makkah is indeed a land blessed by Allah s.w.t ever since He first created heaven and earth.[2] It is the land where Prophet Muhammad s.a.w was born, grew up and received the first revelation. 

It is where the Zamzam well is located which first sprang over 4000 years ago[3] and where the Kaabah was built by Prophet Ibrahim a.s. and his son Prophet Ismail a.s. Allah chose Makkah as the location of the first place of worship on earth.

Essentially, the above-mentioned reality was made possible owing to the prayer (Dua) made by Prophet Ibrahim a.s, who is described as khalilullah (friend of Allah). Allah s.w.t. had instructed Prophet Ibrahim a.s. to build the Kaabah for worshippers.

When Prophet Ibrahim a.s. and his son, Prophet Ismail a.s, completed building the Kaabah, he made supplication to Allah as recorded in the Quran:

وَإِذْ قَالَ إِبْرَاهِيمُ رَبِّ اجْعَلْ هَٰذَا بَلَدًا آمِنًا وَارْزُقْ أَهْلَهُ مِنَ الثَّمَرَاتِ مَنْ آمَنَ مِنْهُم بِاللَّهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ ۖ قَالَ وَمَن كَفَرَ فَأُمَتِّعُهُ قَلِيلًا ثُمَّ أَضْطَرُّهُ إِلَىٰ عَذَابِ النَّارِ ۖ وَبِئْسَ الْمَصِيرُ

(And) when Ibrahim said, "My Lord, make this a secure city and provide its people with fruits (sustenance) - whoever of them believes in Allah and the Last Day." (Allah) said. "And whoever disbelieves - I will grant him enjoyment for a little; then I will force him to the punishment of the Fire, and wretched is the destination."

(Surah Al-Baqarah, 2:126)

Indeed Allah has bestowed the land of Makkah with full blessings, favours and protection