What music is discouraged in Islam

If one takes music to mean the melodious sound of the Muazzin while calling to prayer, or the beautiful sound of the Qari when he recites the Holy Quran, or the musical sound of the daff (tambourine) that is played to celebrate ones wedding, or the tunes of chorus sung by the mujahideen, etc.; these are not only permitted, these types of music are absolutely encouraged in Islam.

Infact, the Prophet (SAW) had a Sahabah named Hassan ibn Thabit who used to write and recite his poetry in the Masjid of the Prophet (SAWS)

Then what type of music is Haram?

What is indeed forbidden in Islam is the illegal string music which is so rampant in movies, television, radios, etc. which encourage fahisha and indecency.

The Prophet (saws) said

"From among my followers there will be some people who will consider illegal sexual intercourse, the wearing of silk, the drinking of alcoholic drinks, and the use of musical instruments as lawful (although it has been declared unlawful).
Sahih Al-Bukhari.

If one looks around the society we live in today, one would notice that conventional music is related to almost every place that encourages fahisha or indecency; and it is this concept of fahisha that Allah has strictly declared haraam for the believer.

Do you know the founder of Music?

When Adam (peace be upon him) passed away, Iblis and Qabil (the son of Adam) were delighted. They both gathered on the Earth and Iblis and Qabil used a Ma'azif (stringed instrument - violin, guitar, piano, etc.) and the Malahiyah (any type of musical instrument) to rejoice on the death of Adam (peace be upon him). Thus, whatever types of instruments are on the Earth that people derive pleasure from are from these instruments (that they had first used).

The Prophet of Allah (blessings of Allah be upon him and his family) said: 

"(Iblis was the first person to play music/sing."

"So abstain from the pollution of the idols and abstain from false, vain words." (al-Qur'an 22:30)

Dr. Adlen writes against music, "Even though it seems pleasant, the effects of music is profound upon the nervous system. Especially, when the temperature is high, the ill effect of music is more.

Successful indeed are the believers those who in their prayers are humble and those who keep themselves aloof from vain (words and deeds)

Successful indeed are the believers those who in their prayers are humble and those who keep themselves aloof from vain (words and deeds)." (Holy Qur'an 23:1-3)