Islamic Rulings On the Outbreak Of Diseases

Islam is referred to as the religion of cleanliness. Allah the Almighty says:

“Truly, Allah loves those who turn unto Him in repentance and loves those who purify themselves.” [Qur’an, 2:222]

In the Hadiths of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him), cleanliness is mentioned as half of faith, therefore, it is important to keep the body fresh and clean, and Islam insists on several practices to facilitate this.

It is obligatory for a Muslim to pay particular attention to being clean before praying.

-They are asked to wash their hands, faces, (including rinsing the mouth and nose) arms and feet, a minimum of five times per day.

- Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) insisted that the believers wash their hands, before praying, before and after eating. [See Sunan of Imam Abu Dawud]; and upon waking up in the morning. (See Sahih of Imam Al-Bukhari)

When trying to stop the spread of any type of virus (coronavirus or lassa) and influenza, including swine flu and bird flu, the first line of defence is frequent hand washing.

More than 1400 years ago, Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) was teaching his followers hygiene practices that are still applicable in the 21st century.

- From the Hadiths of Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him), we find evidence that clearly indicates Islam’s stance on coughing and sneezing openly.Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) instructed the believers to cover their faces when sneezing. 
[See Mustadrak of Imam Hakim]

The most obvious effect of sneezing and coughing without covering the mouth is the spread of airborne bacteria and viruses, in addition, droplets invisible to the naked eye, may fall onto surfaces or other people.

Infection control in Islam includes isolation and quarantine.

Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) instituted strategies that are today implemented by public health authorities.

- Prophet Muhammad (saws) commanded his followers not to travel to places known to be afflicted with illness and he advised those in the contaminated areas or communities not to leave and spread the disease further afield.

He said:

“If you hear that there is a plague in a land, do not enter it; and if it (plague) visits a land while you are therein, do not go out of it.” [See Sahihs of Imams Al-Bukhari and Muslim]

Imams Al-Bukhari and Muslim also narrated that Usamah Ibn Zaid (may Allah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allah (Peace be upon him) said:

“The plague is a calamity (or a punishment) that was sent upon the Children of Israel, or upon those who came before you. If you hear of it in some land, do not go there, and if it breaks out in a land where you are, do not leave, fleeing from it.”

It was said that what is meant by the word ta‘un (translated here as plague) is a specific disease that is known to the scholars and doctors. It was also said that it refers to any widespread disease (epidemic) that leads to the death of many people.

He (Peace be upon him) also counseled ill people not to visit healthy people. [See Sahih of Imam Muslim]

During the worldwide outbreak of diseases, quarantine officials arranged for appropriate medical assistance, which sometimes included medical isolation and restricted travel movements

The teachings and principles of Islam are designed to benefit all of humankind. Rules and recommendations for personal hygiene and cleanliness promote the well-being of individuals and communities. Infection control is inherent in Islamic hygiene behaviour.

Washing the hands, covering the mouth when sneezing or coughing, voluntary isolation, when one is feeling unwell, restricted travel, covering the food and killing the dangerous animals is an effective and comprehensive public health strategy.
Measures taken in the 21st century to prevent the spread of infections and viruses conform almost exactly to the hygiene and infection control practices taught by our Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him).

As Muslims, we constantly worry about the unseen harm that we know exists through our faith and is a real part of everyday life. These harms include the evil eye, jealousy and destructive envy (hasad), devils, jinns, black magic, plagues and epidemics.

As Muslims, we should trust our gut feeling when we feel something unexplainable happens and there is no medical answer, however many of us fail to ask Allah first for His protection and mercy.

-The Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him) used to seek refuge with Allah for himself, and the greatest means of seeking protection is reading the Book of Allah (the Qur’an). The beautiful thing to know is that the entire Qur’an is Shifa’ (a cure), so read it often and strengthen your Iman In Shaa Allah.

It is also important to know that no harm can affect us without the permission of Allah the Almighty, so we must bear in mind that the harm can also be a trial for us, to bring us closer to our creator In Shaa Allah.

-The short authentic Du’as taught from the Qur’an and Sunnah also protect you and your family and are to be read for every day protection.

May Allah the Most High bless us all with his protection; Ameen

(By Murtadha Gusau, Nigerian Imam)