The Mercy of the Gift of Tears

Hadrat Umar (ra) used to stand up in prayer the whole night and used to weep so much that there had grown two permanently dark tear-lines on his face.

Abdullah bin Shaddad (RA) narrated that one day Hadrat 'Umar (RA) led the prayer and as he came to the Verse:

"Verily, I only complain of my sorrow and my grief to Allah" (Yousuf:86)

he wept so much that the people were greatly perturbed.
Source: Ibn taymiyyah's majmoo Al fatawa(v 10,p 274)

➡Hadrat Imam Hasan (RA) narrated that once Hadrat 'Umar (RA) was leading the prayer. When he reached the Verse:

"The punishment of thy Lord shall certainly come to pass. There is none who can avert it." (At-Tur:7,8)

he wept so much that his eyes were swollen. At times he wept so much that people got despaired of his life.

➡Umar ibn Al-Khattaab radiyallahu ‘anhusaid: If someone announces from the heavens that everybody will enter Paradise except for one person, I would fear that I would be that person. He wept thinking about His Lord.
Abu Bakr radiyallahu ‘anhu was too known for his weeping.

➡ It was narrated that Ibn Mas’ood (may Allah be pleased with him) said:

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said to me: “Recite the Quran to me.”

I said: “O Messenger of Allah, shall I recite it to you when it was revealed to you?”

He said: “I like to hear it from someone else.” So I recited Soorat al-Nisa’ to him, and when I reached this verse –

“How (will it be) then, when We bring from each nation a witness and We bring you (O Muhammad) as a witness against these people?” [4:41]

He said: “That is enough for now.” I turned to him and saw his eyes were streaming with tears.
Narrated by al-Bukhari andMuslim.

 ➡Faddalah ibn Sayfi used to weep a great deal. A man entered upon him when he was weeping and said to his wife:
“What is the matter with him?”

She said: “He says that he wants to undertake a long journey and he does not have proper provision for it.” 

➡One night al-Hasan woke up weeping, and he disturbed the other people in the house with his weeping. They asked him what was the matter and he said:
“I remembered a sin that I committed and I wept.”

➡Hudhayfah (may Allah be pleased with him) used to weep intensely, and it was said to him: “Why are you weeping?”

He said: “I do not know what is ahead of me – Divine pleasure or divine wrath.”  

 It is the duty of everyone who acquires knowledge to reach this level, so that when he hears the Quran he is filled with fear and humility.

In Musnad al-Daarimi it is narrated from Abu Muhammad that al-Taymi said:

Whoever is given knowledge and does not weep, he deserves not to have any knowledge, because Allah has described those who have knowledge; then he recited this verse. 

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): 

“Say (O Muhammad to them): Believe in it (the Quran) or do not believe (in it). Verily, those who were given knowledge before it, when it is recited to them, fall down on their faces in humble prostration.

And they say: Glory be to our Lord! Truly, the Promise of our Lord must be fulfilled.

And they fall down on their faces weeping and it increases their humility” [17:107-109] 

And those who strive for Us— We will surely guide them to Our ways. And indeed, Allah is with the doers of good. [Quran, 29:69]

So if you strive to make your soul weep, Allah azza wajal will give you succes in achieving it!