Chasing the throne

Shadow sits quietly on the bed and looks at the wedding ring hanging around her neck

Shadow sits quietly on the bed and looks at the wedding ring hanging around her neck. She smiles and hides it under her black clothes. There was nothing more important than that.

The Genesis Empire was worthless next to it, so it made the most sense to hand it over to someone who saw more value in it than the girl herself could ever see. Lily did. And Lily keeps it at the cost of her life so that the living, the dead, and the inhabitants of the worlds in between have somewhere safe to live. Or at least pretend to be.

Shadow's faith in Lily was unquenchable - She knew that by now. And even Kazmer Viktor Genesis could not change it. Nor could Isis.

Now all that was needed was to show it to the other members of the Criminal Empire so that Lily could take her rightful place on the throne.

Suddenly the door opens and Lily walks through the door.

"Didn't think you'd be out this late," says Shadow, hiding her ring.

"I've gotten used to the idea that I've become the type of person referred to as an 'unpredictable entrant.'" Lily replies looking at the girl.

"Just like a ghost." Shadow mutters looking at Lily.

Lily takes a seat at the far table and says, "I have a few questions for you."

Shadow turns to Lily and asks, "About the criminal empire?"

"Yes," Lily replies, looking out the window.

"I'm just asking, but..... wouldn't you like to talk to Kro about it? He has more extensive knowledge about it than anyone else in the community." Shadow asks, frowning.

"And you know Kro," Lily replies urgently, looking into Shadow's eyes.

"Not as well as I'd like, to be honest." Shadow replies, biting her lip.

"That'll do. For now." Lily says swallowing.

Shadow huffs to herself and says, "A criminal empire is a world. It takes more than you think to break through. And just like assassins, they have their own code. Every point of it is very specific and carefully thought out. Following them will ensure you have a strong and stable back. Breaking, however.... I wouldn't bet much on that."

"Oh. Why?" Lily asks, raising an eyebrow.

"I think you can guess," Shadow replies, rolling her eyes.

"If it's death you mean, warn them—Lily Black has defied death. And got out of there alive. Repeatedly," says Lily, coldly looking Shadow in the eye.

"Why don't you do it?" Shadow asks with a frown.

"I don't want to come across as a brash, self-absorbed girl who is also the daughter of Marcello Ferecci and Lucy Holt," Lily replies, playing with her rings.

"Perhaps audacity is the very thing that guarantees you your victory?" Shadow suggests, leaning on the sofa.

"But you just said..." Lily starts to say.

"You think I'd let you be pawed at, Lily Black?" Shadow asks with a sly smile.

"I wouldn't rule anything out. My position comes with potential threats that could affect not only my condition but also the condition of the Wendel Empire. And I mean it in every sense of the word." Lily answers with a wink at Shadow.

Shadow nods quietly and asks, "And what about Kro's position?"

"Position is earned. Usually over a longer period of time," says Lily, tapping her fingers on the table.

"But how do we know it's not too late?" Shadow asks as she watches Lily slowly make her way to the door.

"We can't. If he's going to slip, we just have to be ready for it," Lily replies, adjusting her jacket.

"Yeah, well... something tells me he already has. Slipped, I mean." says Shadow, looking down.

"Wouldn't be the first time," Lily replies as she walks out the door.

Shadow bites her lip and quietly glances towards the large moon that has come out a while ago.

The kingdom that Lily had now built for herself was supposed to be based on rationality, freedom, and security, things that would have set Lily apart from her family. And Shadow had constantly supported it. But the idea of having Lily reset it all back to zero... didn't seem like the best option to her.

----------------------

When Lily finally gets out of the house, she sees Snake walking towards Than's base and calls out, "Snake!"

Snake stands quietly and looks at the girl with a smile from the corner of his mouth and says, "The night brings some very strange people to the streets."

Lily nods to herself and says, "Strangeness is relatively rare among the people of Wendel. Can't you find it?'

"Than and I went to the gates recently," Snake abruptly cuts the conversation off.

Lily turns her gaze to Snake's green eyes and mumbles, "Go on."

"Someone's got their hands on Than's secret stash, Lily. Which means..." says Snake looking down at the streets.

"It's not good," Lily replies, glaring at Snake.

"Not at all," Snake replies, shaking his head.

"And Shadow? Does she already know?'' Lily asks, crinkling her rings nervously.

"Should find out soon," Snake replies.

"Have the orders been dispersed yet?" Lily asks quietly.

"Than just went to talk to Electra," Snake says.

"And Storm?" Lily asks, watching Snake shrug in disgust at the name.

"It's not really up to me to say, but I wouldn't really trust her right now. Just because there are too many sickening connections between her and the attack. And now Than also.... I don't know." Snake says.

"I believe you, Snake," Lily replies.

Snake smirks to himself and says, "Yeah, well... Bring it to me when I'm completely dead with my claim."

"I'm not saying this because I want to see you impaled, no matter how tempting it may seem... but you're right. I've felt it too," Lily answers, looking around in disbelief.

"Speaking of the statements..." Snake says.

"Long forgotten," Lily snaps.

"Thanks, but....what's the sudden change of heart?" Snake asks with a frown.

"Because we both know we wouldn't change for each other. Not now and not ever," replies Lily.

Snake nods to himself and says, "Glad that's settled."

Lily nods quietly and heads back towards her house.