Care for me

Rani is quietly reclining on a marble-toned sofa, quietly twirling her teacup in one hand as Alis approaches her

"Yes, Alis? How can I help you?" Akita asks with a warm smile.

Alis quickly bows to the girl and says: "I guess you can't, Ms Wang. I just wanted to tell you that I'm going to pick up some things for tomorrow."

Akita nods quietly and says: "I'll go to Valerie's then. I feel a little guilty that I haven't spent so much time with her."

Alis shrugs and says: "None of us really are. Poor thing, if I may say so."

Akita sends a warning glance in Alis's direction and says: "I, too, have had to spend a certain period of my life as an orphan. So I'd keep my bileful comments to myself if I were you."

Alis meekly lowers her head and says: "I apologise if I have ..."

"Insulted me?" Akita asks with a furrowed brow.

Alis nods quickly and Akita says: "It's an inevitability of life. There are many people in my country who have been promised a better life. But unfortunately... my empire is not as powerful as Italy's."

"So you're trying to help them..." asks Alis cautiously.

"I try not to laugh at them. I'm trying to give them what little I can, but unfortunately my resources are limited in that respect too. And now, with the Ganthrons and all the others preparing for war, I have almost none of my own supplies."

Alis nods again and then points towards the door, and Akita shrugs: "Yes, of course... don't mind  me ."

Alis still bows quickly and Akita slides her long dress-like blouse down and watches Scipio watching her closely.

Akita walks quietly under the window and then asks: "What do you want, Scipio?"

Scipio pulls away from the door and replies, "I was looking for you, Rani."

Akita turns around and stretches her arms around herself, "I guess you could say your search was a success."

"I overheard you talking to Alis just now..." says Scipio as he approaches the girl, but Akita instinctively pulls away from him and says: "It's one thing to chase me away from you and then regret it, but now, like a dog again... to scold me and then listen to my personal conversations... I don't know... it seems a bit much."

Scipio nods again and says: "My intentions were good. I can guarantee you that."

"Hardly." Ponders Akita venomously and adds: "I may be many things, but I am not one to be manipulated."

"I suppose. But I know..." Scipio starts to say: "That I gave you my word."

Akita straightens up again and says: "And when I tell you to go, you go."

"As you wish, Rani." Scipio says as he sits down on the sofa with the girl.

Akita sighs softly and Scipio starts, "Nothing really excuses my behavior."