The ones we choose

By the end of the young couple's first dance, several couples have already taken to the dance floor

By the end of the young couple's first dance, several couples have already taken to the dance floor. But there are also young ladies who sit quietly to be asked to dance.

Many of these young ladies, wearing a serene, almost overt mask on their faces, were trying to enjoy the champagne brought to them, themselves socialising with the others.

Adrian didn't think much of it.

Of course, there were always women like that. But, alas, when you went to talk to them, you found yourself standing in the company of very sharp-tongued, progressive women whom no one directly tolerated. They kept themselves in a small close group like a pack of wolves, rarely letting anyone near them.

Akita, too, had taken a seat on the edge of their terrotory, but when Adrian spotted her, she moved away.

Adrian looks worriedly at the girl and rushes after her.

Akita had run into a dark corridor where it was almost impossible to see anything.

Luckily, Adrian was no stranger to dark corridors. Walking around the corridors of their estates in France and Italy in the evenings was a common occurrence, unfortunately.

"Go away." Suddenly, a girl's faint voice came from the small window.

"I didn't mean to..." bosses Adrian, still groping in the darkness.

"Then leave." Replies Akita from high above.

Adrian nods silently and sets himself to go, until the girl suddenly cries out: "Wait!"

Adrian pauses quietly and turns to the woman's image and asks: "Yes?"

Akita tightens her arms around herself and asks: "How did you know...?"

"Knew what?" Adrian asks, frowning.

"Where to find me." Akita replies quietly.

Adrian thinks for a moment and says: "I heard the door open."

Akita smiles quietly and asks: "And then you came? And you found me?"

Adrian shrugs: "If you say so, Miss...?"

"Please. Akita will do." The girl replies, stepping closer to the boy.

"Why did you come here, Akita?" Adrian asks as he walks to the window with the girl.

"I enjoy the silence." Says the girl turning to the boy.

"I've already figured as much..." replies Adrian with a smirk, which inevitably makes Akita giggle, but Adrian interrupts her giggle and asks: "But that's not the only reason, is it?"

Akita now walks into the starlight and Adrian feels a lump rise in his throat.

The girl was even more beautiful than he had anticipated.