A promise I couldn't keep

Alina quietly looks at Than, and the boy says, "Only a fool comes to a gunfight with a knife

Alina quietly looks at Than, and the boy says, "Only a fool comes to a gunfight with a knife."

"And only an idiot would take a gun to a knife fight," Alina answers sarcastically.

Than looks at his weapon and says, "I don't mind bringing this weapon into battle, it's served me well..." and points it to the girl's neck, adding, "And it's serving me now."

"What do you want?" Alina asks, pushing the gun barrel away.

"I could ask you the same thing," says Than looking at the girl.

"If Lily knew what you would do..." Alina murmurs.

"Black bloom knows very well what I do. You again... barely. Unless you came to get shot." Than replies.

"I have better things to do than argue with you here," Alina says, raising her head.

"Than nods and begins to walk quietly away when Alina suddenly frowns and asks: "That's all? You're just going to leave me here?"

"Yes, can you imagne that, jackass," Than answers lazily.

"Did you realize that?" Alina asks mockingly.

Than looks at Alina and says, "Your doing the smart thing is probably going to end badly for you. I am more than sure of that. If not now, then later."

"You don't know that," Alian says dismissively.

"All I know is that as soon as Adrian reaches the French border, he and the car he stole will be gone. And so will be the child. And Lily and Gabriel... it gets demolished. As for you...your fate rests with Lily." Than replies as he walks away, adding, "So yeah, I'll leave you alone. But others don't. You can consider yourself lucky in that regard."

*******

When Kro drives the car to the Italian border, Lily notices Shadow sleeping with her cape tucked up.

She looks at Marc and asks, "Where are we?"

Marc nods towards the window and Lily looks at the Italian border crossing in front of her and mutters, "Bentornata Liliana!" ("Welcome back, Liliana!")

Marc looks at Lily questioningly and Lily mutters, "Not a word."

Marc nods cautiously and says, "Everyone has secrets that we don't  want to face."

"When I was younger, I made a promise to myself..." Lily says looking at her rings.

"Never return to Italy again?" Marc asks, raising an eyebrow.

"It didn't take long before it was explained to me what I would be risking if I ran away from Marcello Fercci. And then I would come back." Lily answers looking away.

Shadow, who has been sitting quietly until now, stares out the window and asks, "Where are we?"

"The north - Italian border," answers Vassili, looking out the window.

Shadow looks at Lily and asks, "How are you?"

"Confused...lots of things going through my mind" Lily replies massaging her temples.

"Marc, do you want to switch places?" Kro asks, looking at Lily.

"Kro..." Shadow says warningly.

Lily looks at Shadow and mutters, "No, it's okay, she can stay here."

Shadow swallows quietly and says, "Lily..."

Irina looks at Shadow and says, "Go sit in the front, Kro. I will send Vassili with you there."

Kro looks at Lily again and says, "If it helps."

Lily looks at Shadow and replies, "I know I need you. But Shadow is right. Now is not the time. Nor the place."

Shadow looks at Lily and mutters, "I'm sorry. I ..."

Kro smiles softly and replies, "Lily is right. The more I try, the further I push him."

Vassili, who has been sitting quietly until now, adds: "It would be useful if I got to know you better, Kro. Now if we start fighting together on one side."

Kro nods quietly and Lily quietly leans closer to Shadow, silently watching Kro sit next to Vassil.

She dazedly reaches out to the boy, but before her fingers can even touch the boy, fatigue takes over her and she buries  deep in it, forcing the girl to place her hands on her stomach in a convulsion. Until it loosens up too.

******

As he gets closer to France, Adrian feels the adrenaline in his body begin to stop and exhaustion begins to torment him.

He quietly turns to the child who had been crying hard by his side for the past hour and says, "I'll take you somewhere safe, Valerie," and stares blankly at the road, ".... If there even is such a place."

Valerie looks curiously at her fingers playing with a small colorful pacifier chain. Adrian had turned down the radio so the girl could experience her surroundings.

"I want you to see what I have never been able to see. But now I doubt if you at all..," Adrian had told him in the meantime.

But Valerie probably hadn't noticed him at that moment. The girl had tried to figure out what was happening to her.. why she had been put in that big box that moved, made noise, and from which you could also hear a loud and sometimes very unpleasant short-term voice.

At some point it had become annoying. Then the girl had to try to find new sounds that the car made for herself. What the seats did. What were the hands doing that held the steering wheel and in the meantime also tugged the lever and adjusted the radio. And what's even more exciting - what came from the mouth of the one who set it all in motion there in front of the big wheel.

So, Valerie was trying to communicate with her squeals - I'm here. can you hear me

Adrian looks at the girl with a sad face with a smile and quietly offers her his hand to play with.

However, as soon as Valerie notices this, she pushes her hand away dismissively and begins to make a loud noise.

Then Adrian just smiles and says: "I can already see whose child you are."

But this makes the girl look up and Adrian replies, "I'll explain it to you when you're older. Okay?"