chapter five

𝐯

𝐯.

𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐚𝐯𝐞

𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐚𝐯𝐞

THE SOUND OF THE POLICE CARS DRIVING OUT THERE DRIVEWAY frightened her even more. She bounced her legs anxiously, her eyes trained to the television screen in front of her.

She tried to pretend like she didn't notice her adoptive parents until they walked up to her. Her dad yanked her off the couch by her wrist.

"Wait, please! I didn't say anything! I lied like you wanted me to! Please don't hurt me!" Valerie flincher up at him.

Mr. Harrington chuckled before throwing her against the ground. "How did they know about the abuse? Huh?"

Her eyesight was blocked with tears, her bones aching from being thrown onto the hard floor.

"I don't know." She cried.

He tilted his head and sighed, leaning down to pull her back up. His daughter sniffled repeatedly being in a state of panic.

"How am I gonna deal with you?"

Loud screams left her mouth when he began to drag her over to the kitchen, his wife was yelling for him to calm down but he wouldn't.

Mr. Harrington grabbed a pot of boiling water they were previously gonna use for tea and brought it over to her.

"No-" He punched her hard in her face cutting her off.

"Stop it! Honey don't!" Ms. Harrington screamed but it was too late.

He grabbed her hand and put it in the hot water.

Valerie let out a high-pitched, pain filled holler. Her hand felt like it was on fire. She onto ground holding her hand in pain.