036. bobby's ghost

Sam, Larissa, and Libby are sitting on the hood of the car and Dean and Ophelia walk over, both carrying food and drinks. Justin and Briar are sitting on the trunk of the other car, their parents standing by them.

"All right, here we go." Dean says, figuring all the food and drinks out, giving them what they ordered. He leans against the hood of the car next to Sam. Sam quickly hands Larissa her food and drink before getting his own.

"You know... even though the world is going to shit, there's one thing that I can always count on. These things tasting the same in every drive thru in every state in our great nation." Dean says, taking a bite of his taco and humming in delight.

Dean's phone rings and he answers it.

"Annie." He says. "A nice surprise. How you been?" He asks. Larissa tunes the rest of the conversation out, not completely caring.

"Here." Sam mumbles, opening his taco. He makes her open her taco and he transfers his tomatoes to her food.

"What are you doing? You like tomatoes." Larissa looks at him confused.

"You like 'em more." Sam shrugs. Larissa smiles as Sam finishes. She waits for him to look at her before leaning over and kissing him.

"You know, if I knew you guys were just gonna ruin every meal with all your cutesy shit, I wouldn't have walked her down the aisle." Jacob says.

"Honeymoon phase, doofus." Larissa says.

"Make me puke phase." Jacob mutters making Natalie quietly laugh.

+++

The family are sitting in a restaurant and waiting for Annie.

"Hey, get this. Dick Roman is funding another archaeological dig. Guy moves more dirt than "The Drudge Report."" Dean says.

"Well, any anything on what he's digging for?" Sam asks.

"Don't you think I would have led with that?" Dean asks.

"Annie's not usually this late, is she?" Sam asks, looking at his watch.

"No, never. She's totally compulsive. I'll try her cell." Dean says.

"You know, uh, you know she and Bobby had a thing, right?" Sam asks.

"Yeah. Yeah, I knew that." Dean nods. "Really?" He asks after a moment.

"Yeah. Kind of a foxhole thing -- very Hemingway." Sam says.

"Huh. She and I kind of went Hemingway this one time, too." Dean says.

"All right, well... that happens." Sam says, making a face.

"You didn't." Larissa says.

"What, you too?" Dean asks.

"Look, it was a while back. We ended up on the same case. She was stressed. I-I-I... I didn't... have a soul." Sam says.

"I don't get it. What's Hemingway?" Libby asks.

"Nobody's gonna tell you. Give it up." Ophelia tells her.

"Nobody tells me anything." Libby whines.

"Join the club." Ophelia mumbles.

"That's a lot of foxholes." Dean comments.

"Did you...?" Natalie looks at her husband.

"I am foxhole free." Jacob says. His eyebrows furrow. "That makes sense, right?"

"I get it." Natalie says.

"Okay." Jacob nods.

"She's not answering. Well, here's to ghosts that aren't there." Dean says, pouring some whiskey from his flask into his coffee mug.