077. downfall

The three put Dean in the dungeon.

"The hell if you think I'm riding the pine on this one, guys." Dean says.

"Something is wrong with you, Dean. And until we figure out what, this is where you have to stay." Sam says.

"And you guys are gonna do what? Take on Metatron yourselves? That's smart. Oh, no, wait. No, you--" Dean motions to Cas, "you lost your angel army. And you--" He motions to Sam and Larissa, "now you're both trying to lock up the one guy who has a shot at killing the son of a bitch! Hell of a plan, fellas!"

Sam and Cas push the doors shut, locking Dean in the dungeon.

"Look, hey, guys." Dean calls. "Sam. Sammy!"

They get back to the main room.

"Sam." Cas says as Sam puts the first blade in a box.

"Yeah?" Sam asks.

"Dean... wasn't wrong. My followers have abandoned us." Cas says.

"Yeah, and Gadreel says he can help us. From where I sit, that's more than an even trade." Sam says. They look over to where they left Gadreel, finding him gone.

+++

Sam, Cas, and Gadreel get back to the bunker.

"Oh, no." Sam rushes to the now empty box that used to hold the first blade.

"What's the smell?" Gadreel asks.

"Sulfur." Sam states.

~ ~ ~

"Dean, pick up the phone. Call me back. I'm not kidding, all right? Don't do this. Not like this." Sam says, hanging up.

"Are you sure it was Crowley?" Cas asks.

"Who else would he summon? I mean, he and Crowley have been bromancing over the blade ever since Dean got the mark." Sam says.

"The mark?" Gadreel asks.

"The Mark of Cain." Cas says.

"So that's what Dean cut me with -- the first blade. In a way, that could be useful." Gadreel says.

"What?" Sam asks.

"Well, Metatron is more powerful than ever, but if Dean has the first blade and the mark, that might give us our best chance." Gadreel says.

"You're joking, right? An hour ago, we were ready to throw Dean into a padded cell, and now you say he's our best chance?" Sam asks.

"Hear him out, Sam." Cas says.

"Oh, right. Excuse me. Sorry, guys. Uh, sorry I'm a little less than eager to hear that our best chance is-- is arming the warhead and hoping it hits the mark. This is not a bomb we're talking about. This is my brother."

"And your brother would not be in this alone. We can help." Gadreel states.

"How?" Sam asks.

"I believe Metatron has found a way to tap into the angel tablet, harnessing its power to give him powers equivalent to--"

"God, right? I mean, that's what this is all about, isn't it? Metatron wants to be God." Sam says and Gadreel nods. "Great, well, that basically makes him unstoppable."

"Not if we can break the connection between Metatron and the tablet. That would make him just an ordinary angel. Where's the tablet?" Cas asks.

"Metatron's office." Gadreel says.

"In Heaven?" Sam asks.

"I can get us to the door." Gadreel declares.

"And then what? I mean, why would they let you in? If Metatron's number two shows up with Heaven's most wanted, the gig is up." Sam says.