22.

i'm super excited for the next few chapters. one tip: read carefully ☕️✍🏼

And from the minute the two time Ballon D'Or winner stepped into the meeting room, it was the start of a nightmare.

Her nightmare.

Not only was it a challenge to stay calm and quiet throughout the tactic talk, or not discuss about Jorge's decision once he shared the information about the starting eleven with the team, but also to sit there like it didn't bother her.

Fiddling with her fingers, head down and hazel eyes to the floor, Alexia couldn't help but wish she'd decided against the national team.

Maybe she should've stayed at home.

"Ale, it's fine... at least we're benched together, no?", was Mapi's cheerful voice resounding beside her, the defender nudging her friends' side once the team news regarding today's starting eleven were shared.

Looking up from her hands, twisting and turning her black headband between her fingers, Alexia's tender lips purse in order to say something, but then, she simply shrugs.

The captain obviously was annoyed.

"Listen to me, Ale... I'm just as annoyed and as angry as you are. But think about it this way... we can save our strength for the more 'important' games", the blonde, tattooed from head to toe, replies.

"This is the World Cup. Every game is important", was the only response Mapi received, Alexia's hazel eyes fixed on Jorge, the head coach standing in front of the group while gesturing with his hands, sharing information about some tactical moves, that were irrelevant for Alexia anyway.

She never liked him.

And that would never change.

"You're right, Ale. So right. Let's just stay calm and wait to be subbed in, so we can show him how wrong his decision of benching us really was"

And before Alexia knew it, she was dressed in a red kit, taking her seat on the substitute bench just minutes before the start of the match.

Red adidas socks were pulled up to her knees, slightly covering the scars from her ACL injury. Long, straightened hair were pulled up in a high ponytail, and fixed with a black hair band, the bodice for substitutes thrown over her strong shoulders.

Oh, how she hated this bodice.

The midfielder hated this thin piece of clothing in every way possible.

Before the substitution. After the substitution. Each and every time some coach forced her to wear this awful bodice during a game, Alexia would think about it as an insult to majesty.

In any other country, she would certainly be set in the starting eleven today. Today, and every day.

In any other country, the two time Ballon D'Or winner would have been allowed to lead her team out on the pitch as captain, on such an important day - the start of the World Cup.

But not with him. Not with Jorge Vilda.

Because, according to him, it was 'best if she won't play from the start today'

Alexia's nightmare continued as she watched the game from the substitutes bench, experiencing how her team - whose captain she was supposed to be - was already 2-0 behind after just 32 minutes.

Much to everyone's surprise, the selection of Costa Rica played good. Extremely good.

Too good for Spains liking, and so the team of trainer Amelia Valverde had easy game to take the lead into the cabin at half time.