40.

the round of 16 is so, so close. anyone else excited for tomorrow? any score predictions? ☕️✍🏼

When Alexia stepped onto the grass of the training ground the following morning, her personalized soccer boots laced up the way she preferred, she felt well rested, relaxed and ready.

The two time Ballon D'Or winner was ready.

Ready for training. Ready for the round of 16, where Switzerland awaited the team as their opponent. Ready to demonstrate the head coach that Erin was not a distraction, but a motivation.

Placing her water bottle inside the cooler at the edge of the pitch, she glanced at Erin, the stunningly beautiful blonde at the sideline, clad in a red rain coat, the hood pulled over her head.

It was raining cats and dogs.

As in the previous days, New Zealands winter showed its most popular side - the never-ending rain.

But as much as Alexia had wished for a sunny day, she would not allow the weather to spoil her mood, for she was too focused and happy, especially after yesterday's wonderful day, spent with the gorgeous blonde.

Yesterday had been a dream.

"I hope you had a pleasant day yesterday. We wouldn't want me to have taken over all your appointments for nothing, right?", was the sound of Martha's voice that had the blonde look up from her tablet, the black-haired therapist standing beside her, a pink umbrella in hand.

This certainly wasn't part of the Spanish national team's standard equipment.

"It was... fantastic", Erin blushes, critically examining the umbrella, her voice hesitant as she adds with a soft smile, "Gracias"

"Oh, well, that's what friends are made for, no? I'll remind you of my favor whenever I need something from you", Martha winks, a grin on her lips as she snatches Erin's tablet, looking over today's upcoming tasks.

All Erin could do was roll her eyes.

"As long as it's legal...", the blonde replies dryly, and without noticing, her eyes wander back to Alexia, who's jogging up and down the perfectly green lawn alongside a few other players.

She couldn't help but stare.

"Wow, her stats are truly impressive", Martha marvels, her higher-pitched voice heard beside Erin as she thrusts the pink umbrella into the blonde's hands, requesting, "Hold this for a second"

The slender woman's eyes dilate as her ice-cold fingers involuntarily wrap around the umbrella's handle.

With her eyes fixed on the screen of Erin's tablet, Martha scrolls through the statistics the blonde had been working on for the past couple of weeks.

"Her stats are... world class. I mean, so are some of the other athletes, but her name is standing out in every category", Martha remarks as she watches her assumptions of the past few years come to life in black and white.

"She is world class", Erin confirms with a proud smile, the pink umbrella in hand as she observes the warm-up.

Or rather said, Alexia.

While the blonde stood on the sidelines in the pouring rain, the captain was entirely focused. She found herself in a tunnel of concentration.

Although Alexia caught herself occasionally glancing at Erin throughout practice - wondering, needless to say, why she was holding a pink umbrella - the idea of convincing Jorge of her outstanding form outweighed her focus.