43.

is anyone else still shocked (and happy) that Sweden managed to kick the US out of the tournament? what a match that was?! ☕️✍🏼

That very night, Jorge Vilda's team headed to the international airport, ready to catch an overnight flight back to Europe.

The plane soared through the night sky, carrying the Spanish national team and their staff homeward.

Alexia found herself sitting in a luxurious business class seat, her mind still grappling with the events of the match and her decision to step back from the team. The missed penalty weighed heavily on her shoulders, one of the most terrifying experiences of her professional career.

Surrounded by silence, everyone else in the cabin was asleep or lost in their thoughts of grief. Despite the comfort of her seat, the two time Ballon D'Or winner felt a heaviness in her heart. The missed penalty replayed in her mind over and over, the dull sound of the ball hitting the post echoing like a fatal shot.

She was haunted by the belief that she had let her team down.

Her fame, once a symbol of achievement, now felt like a burden. The doubt and pressure from others weighed on her, making her question her worth as a player. It all had become too much to bear.

She had disappointed.

She was a disappointment.

As the minutes ticked by, Alexia noticed a shadow slowly coming her way as a slender figure walks down the aisle from economy class, careful not to disturb any other players.

The midfielder's heart skipped a beat at the realization that it was Erin who was approaching her.

"Hey...", the blonde whispers softly, her gaze held a mixture of concern and determination as she perched down on the comfortable elevation by Alexia's feet, quietly taking her seat.

It didn't take Erin more than a second to realize that Alexia was dressed in her favorite hoodie, the light green, warm piece of clothing the two time Ballon D'Or winner had stolen after their very first night together.

It felt like an eternity.

So much had happened since then.

Staring at each other as they sat there, the surroundings illuminated by the dimmed light, Erin sitting across of her while everyone was sound asleep, the blonde noticed how glassy the brunette's sparkling hazel eyes had suddenly become, her gorgeous visage glowing as salty tears well up in the pit of Alexia's eyes.

She couldn't help it. She couldn't help herself.

She couldn't control her emotions any longer.

"I'm so, so sorry", the captain repeats sorrowfully as tiny tears start trickling down her reddened cheeks as she gazes at Erin, the realization that she'd be gone the moment this plane will reach their destination breaking her heart in two.

This was her fault.

She should've been better.

Alexia felt a surge of comfort and warmth as she notices the therapist slipping into the seat beside her, instinctively leaning into the embrace as she felt a pair of slender arms wrap around her fragile, exhausted figure, together with a blonde head nuzzling beneath her chin as Erin's head rested against her chest.

And she couldn't ask for more in this moment.

Alexia couldn't help but allow her strong arms to wrap around Erin's body as the blonde snuggled up against her, warm fingers finding their way into the therapists blonde hair, getting lost in those loose strands as the other arm held her close, never wanting this stunningly beautiful woman to go.