006, teen killer

chapter six

chapter six

Rick and the others were back, it was late, food and drinks were being handed out, and Carmen had never felt so happy in her life.

Her head laid gently on Rosita's shoulder, Rosita then kissing her forehead as a response. Abraham rose from his seat next to Carmen.

"I'd like to propose a toast." He smiled, a glass of alcohol in hand. "I look around this room... and I see survivors." Carl and Carmen's eyes met each other, them both giving a little smile and nod.

"Each and every one of you has earned that title. To the survivors." Abraham applauded, everyone cheering in response. "Survivors! Cheers!"

"Is that all you want to be?" Abraham asked, his stance still wide and tall. "Wake up in the morning, fight the undead pricks, forage for food, go to sleep at night with two eyes open, rinse and repeat?"

"'Cause you can do that. I mean, you got the strength. You got the skill. Thing is, for you people, for what you can do, that's just surrender." Abraham's words made everyone share confused yet proud looks, they were happy how far they had all come, Carmen especially.

"Now, we get Eugene to Washington and he will make the dead die and the living will have this world again. And that is not a bad takeaway for a little road trip." Abraham chuckled and turned to Eugene. "Eugene, what's in DC?"

"Infrastructure constructed to withstand pandemics even of this fubar magnitude. That means food, fuel, refuge. Restart. However this plays out, however long it takes for the reset button to kick in, you can be safe there. Safer than you've been since this whole thing started." Eugene gave Abraham a nod as if to say he could begin speaking again.

"Come with us. Save the world for that little one." He turned to Judith. "Save it for yourselves. Save it for the people out there... who don't got nothing left to do except survive."

Rick chuckled, the sound of Judith cooing made everyone turn their heads to face the father and daughter.

"What was that?" Rick asked his daughter, Judith blabbed something in baby language. "I think she knows what I'm about to say. She's in. If she's in, I'm in. We're in."

They were in. They were going to save the world.

Rosita wondered off somewhere, probably to hold Judith or speak to people like Maggie or Tara or someone. Rosita was like that, whereas Carmen just kept to herself majority of the time. She enjoyed her own company.

She sat on the floor, her legs crossed, with a comic she had kept in her bag. She had found quite a few on her trip, and had some at home. She packed loads, but she got bored after reading the same ones over and over again.

"Is that a comic?" Carl furrowed his brows, he hadn't seen a comic since the prison, that seemed like decades ago. Carmen looked up and smiled, "Yup. Wanna sit?"