023, the letter

chapter twenty three

FEW DAYS HAD GONE BY. Everyone seemed to be back up on their feet, happy, doing productive things. Meanwhile, Carmen hadn't left her room. She remained on her bed, with the letter in her hand that she had read over and over again. Each time, crying.

But today, today was different. She had gotten up. She had showered. She had gotten dressed. And even offered to go on a run with Spencer and Rosita.

She approached the vehicle, Rosita in the drivers seat and Spencer in the passengers seat.

She opened the door to the passenger seat, looking at Spencer. "Get in the back. We haven't got all day, kid." He said, his head moving towards the back.

"Don't 'kid' me, puta. I sit in the front. Get out." Carmen stated. Spencer seemed shocked, he looked towards Rosita, with the exact same look on her face as Carmen's face. Spencer sighed and unbuckled the seat belt.

"That's what i thought." Carmen smiled sweetly towards Spencer as he got up out of the car and passed her to get in the back.

They then headed towards the gate. "Could you open the gate?" Rosita asked Eugene. No answer. "Eugene."

"Yeah?" He looked up from whatever thing he was building. "Open the gate." Rosita pointed towards the gate.

"Goin' out to see if we can find anything for when they come. You want to help?" Spencer poked his head through the space in between the two girls.

"I don't think i'd be much help with that." Eugene rejected.

"Yup, sounds about right." Carmen huffed, sinking down into the seat of the car.

"I'm repairin' this portable audio system for them. We'll have a perfectly respectable music player when they arrive. I'm dealing in certainties, and i'm doing part to give them what they want." Eugene's speech was interrupted by the sound of tires screeching outside the gates.

All three of them in the car, got out to see what the tires were from.

Then it arrived.

That familiar whistle that haunted Carmen. Made her feel sick. Brought back every memory of her sixteenth birthday.

Carmen looked over towards Rosita. Rosita gave her a small nod as the shadow of Negan appeared behind the gates.

"Dun-dun-dun-dun." He said, hitting his bat on the metal gates. "Little pig, little pig, let me in!"

Spencer walked over towards the gates, opening them for Negan. "Well?" Negan asked.

"Um, who are you?" Spencer's words made Carmen roll her eyes.

"Are you fucking stupid? Just open the gate." Carmen sighed, seeing the sight of Negan made her hurt.

Although, Spencer just ignored her words. "I think you should listen to the little lady over there. She is hella scary." Negan laughed.