039, never been better

chapter thirty nine

chapter thirty nine

SAYING THAT Carmen Espinosa had never been better was something you wouldn't hear very often. Usually it would be: i'm okay or it's whatever, i'm fine! But, not this time. This time, Carmen was happy.

She sat beside Carl on a small bench, outside their house in Alexandria as she watched Judith paint a picture of her so called family.

Carmen looked at the picture, smiling to herself as she could see her own face, her own body, in between Carl and Judith, holding both their hands.

It felt great to Carmen, knowing that Judith considered her family. But, she was bound to, she had grown up in the girls arms. To Carmen, being considered anything good by Judith was an accomplishment, she was an angel.

It had been eighteen months since Negan and the Saviours. Alexandria was all fixed up. Plants were growing from the ground, more houses had been rebuilt, the gates looked stronger than ever. Everyone looked healthy.

Judith had blonde locks, that bounced on her shoulders every time she laughed a little, or even ran towards someone she loved. She had grown up so much, and she was even talking and making jokes.

She laughs every time Carl and Carmen kiss, she says it's funny, then she pleads them to do it again so she can laugh more.

Carl still had his long hair, he would get Carmen to trim it every now and again, but he would never fully cut it off. He had only gotten taller, and his eyes had gotten an even more icy blue. He hadn't changed much, except from the fact he could hardly ever stop smiling. Happiness was something he hadn't felt at all, but when those eighteen months went by, he had never been happier.

Carmen's hair had grown a little, but it still remained the familar short length that everyone knew her for. Her appearance didn't really matter though, although she cared, she was more bothered about how she felt. And for a long time in a while, she was happy, to the point where smiles didn't have to be forced, and laughs didn't have to be pushed out. It all came naturally to her, that was new.

"It was very drippy before." Judith said, referring to the paint. Michonne smiled, "Was it drippy? That's okay."

"It's a...i'm gonna make it into a heart." Judith held the paintbrush tightly, while she tried her hardest to make the perfect heart.

"Okay, that's fine. That's fine. Go ahead." Michonne cheered her on, looking back at Carl and Carmen shooting them a smile. They all watched Judith as she painted.

"It's dripping from the heart. It's okay." Judith reassured everyone. "Cause the heart is so full." Carmen commented, she could see Judith's small smile at her comment.

"Some is dripping on you.." Judith said to Michonne, she giggled, "You wanna tell me about the painting?"

"That's our house. And aunt Maggie. And the King. And all our friends. There's aunt Cami and Carl. Then you and me." Judith pointed at each person in the picture. Missing one person.