034, light in our life

chapter thirty four

chapter thirty four

CARMEN GOT HER WISH. Ever since the apocalypse started, Carmen had dreamed of being dead. She finally got her wish.

Everyone else, on the other hand, had barely even spoken about her.

It's like she was the light in everyone's life. It was times like this where Rick wished she was here to shout at him. Or Rosita wished she was here to make a joke about the way Negan dresses. Or Carl wished she was here to tell him that nothing was his fault, and that he was the purest person to exist.

To all of these people, Carmen meant something. And, now she was gone. Carl hadn't spoken a word to anyone since that night.

After the news had fallen upon everyone's ears, Carl remembered looking around at all their faces.

He saw Oliver. The boy that Carmen sacrificed her life for. Clearly, someone had gotten him out in time.

Then he saw Rosita. The look on her blank face. The tears that rolled down her cheeks. The way her eyes looked so tired even if she'd had loads of sleep.

It didn't matter. Carmen was gone. And everyone needed her, right now.

Especially Carl, he had been sat alone, away from everyone else while he thought about what he could've done differently.

Rick approached him, "Son."

Carl didn't look up, he just sat there, the tears that stained his cheeks laid on his face while he sniffled.

Rick crouched down beside him, his voice becoming a whisper as he spoke to Carl, "I'm sorry. I want you to know that i have always tried to keep her alive."

"You didn't try hard enough though, did you? Because she's dead." Carl spat.

Carmen was the person that kept him in line, when he would get angry she was there. When he would cry, she was there. When he needed help with something, she was there. She was always there for him, and it made him sad knowing that she was just gone in a heartbeat.

"Carl, when your mom passed, i went insane. I mean, i thought i saw her after she had died. And, one time, i was outside the gates of the prison and i saw her, she was in a white dress, just like our wedding day and she looked beautiful. But, it wasn't real. And i don't want you to have to deal with that." Rick's voice was soft, he wasn't that great at the comforting thing, he usually left Lori to deal with Carl when he grazed his knee, but this time, it was different.

"You promised me that you would save her over me, dad. Why did you do it?" Carl sniffled.

"I didn't know she needed to be saved. If i knew i would've, i would've stopped her in a heartbeat, you know that." Rick reassured his son.

"That last thing she said to me was that she loved me. She asked me if i trusted her, i said yes, and she told me that she loved me. Right after that, she ran over to the house and not even a minute later it blew up. I couldn't move. I just dropped to my knees. I stayed there for a while. Then you and Michonne arrived, my ears were ringing, i couldn't hear anything you were saying. I didn't know what to do."