020, twenty seven men

chapter twenty

chapter twenty

"AND WE CAN WORK with The Hiltop. Maggie hammered out a deal. We're getting food, eggs, butter, fresh vegetables. But they're not just giving it away. These Saviours, they almost killed Sasha, Daryl, and Abraham on the road. Now, sooner or later, they would've found us, just like those Wolves did, just like Jesus did." Rick was explaining who Negan and the Saviours were to Alexandria.

"They woulda killed someone of some of us. And then they would try to own us. And we would try to stop them. But by then, in that kind of fight, low on food, we could lose. This is the only way to be sure, as sure as we can get, that we win. And we have to win. We do this for the Hiltop. It's how we keep this place. It's how we feed this place. This needs to be a group decision. If anybody objects, here's your chance to say your piece." Rick announced, waiting for someone to call out.

Many glances were shared around the room, and not one hand or body was raised. Until, Morgan stood up. "You're sure we can do it? We can beat em?"

"What this group has done, what we've learned, what we've become, all of us, yes, i'm sure." Rick promised.

"Then all we have to do is just tell them
that." Morgan suggested.

"Well, they don't compromise."

"This isn't a compromise. It's a choice you give them. It's a way out, for them and for us." Morgan stated.

"We try and talk to them, we give up our advantage, our safety. No, we have to come for them before they come for us. We can't leave them alive."

"Where there's life, there's possibility." Morgan explained.

"Of them hitting us."

Voices began to be raised as the discussion between Rick and Morgan got heated. Morgan was all against the killing and all for the living, while Rick on the other hand, well, you could probably guess...

"Morgan wants to talk to them first. I think that would be a mistake, but it's not up to me. I'll talk to the people still at home. I'll discuss it  with the people on guard now, too, but who else wants to approach the Saviours, talk to them first?" Rick offered, waiting for responses.

"What happened here, we won't let that happen again. I won't." Aaron had risen from his seat to talk.

"Looks like it's settled. We know exactly what this is. We don't shy from it, we live. We kill them all. We don't all have to kill. but if people are going to stay here, they do have to accept it." Rick walked away, the discussion being over.

"WE'RE FIGHTING the Saviours." Carmen told Carl, her head on his chest, while his arm was around her.

"I know, my dad told me, earlier." Carl nodded, while drawing patterns on Carmen's arm. "How do you feel about it?"