027, the kingdom

chapter twenty seven

GOING TO THE HILLTOP was one of the best decisions Carmen had made. Not only was she happy for the first time in a while, but she also found out Daryl was safe, Maggie and the baby were okay and Enid made it to Hilltop. Carmen couldn't have been more thankful.

The group were currently in Gregory's office trying to persuade him to help fight the saviours.

"No! No way in hell. That was not the deal. You people swore you could take the Saviours out, and you failed. So any arrangement we had is now done, null and void, all right? We aren't trade partners, we aren't friends, and we never met. Hmm?" Gregory lent forward on his desk, raising a brow as he waited for a confirmation.

"Hold on, who said we were friends?" Carmen's forehead creased, showing all signs of confusion as Carl laughed at her comment.

"Whatever it is. We don't know each other." Gregory then sat in his chair, "I owe you nothing. In fact, you owe me for taking in the refugees, at great personal risk."

"Oh, you were very brave staying in here while Maggie and Sasha saved this place. Your courage was inspiring." Jesus blurted out sarcastically, Carmen, who was stood beside him, giving him a small nod of approval at his use of sarcasm.

"Hey, don't you work for me? Aren't we friends?" Gregory's eyes widened in question.

"Gregory, we already started this." Rick stood with his hands on his hips.

"You started it."

"We did. And we're gonna win."

Gregory scoffed, "These are killers."

"Is this how you want to live? Under their thumb, killing your people?" Rick blinked rapidly.

"S-Sometimes we don't get to choose what our lives look like." Gregory stammered, "Sometimes, Ricky, you have to count the blessings you have."

Maggie stepped forward, her hand leaning on a chair, propping herself up properly. "How may people can we spare? How many people here can fight?"

He scoffed again, "We? I don't even know how many people we have, Margaret. And does it even matter? I mean...w-w-what are you gonna do? Start a platoon of sorghum farmers? 'Cause that's what we got. They grow things. They're not gonna want to fight."

"You're wrong. When people have the chance to do the right thing, they usually step up. I mean, people just..." Tara's voice trailed off as Gregory held his hand out as if to say stop.

"L-Let me stop you before you break into song, okay? And, who would train all this cannon fodder?"

"I will." Sasha stated.

"Give me a week." Rosita said.

"I'll train them to fight. I can do it." Carmen volunteered, a small smile plastered on her face as she offered.