041, broken knuckles

chapter forty one

chapter forty one

HER EYES FLUTTERED OPEN, Carmen woke up to the bright sky seeming through the blinds in her and Carl's room.

She turned to her left, Carl still fast asleep. His hair was all messy and the blanket's only just covered his bare chest. Carmen smiled at the sight of him, she wondered if he ever did the same when we woke up first.

She climbed out of bed, being careful to not wake him up. She walked over to the wooden draws, pulling out whatever clothes she could find.

She dressed herself in army green cargo shorts, a black t-shirt which she tucked into the shorts; and a brownish flannel that Carl had given her.

She shoved on her familar black boots, brushed through her hair and then walked out her bedroom.

"Morning." Rick greeted the girl with a smile as she made her way downstairs. She could smell toast. The fresh scent filled her nostrils, automatically planting a small smile on her face.

She got to the bottom, leaning against the banister. "Toast? What are we celebrating?"

"Nothin,' just having a good morning." Rick shrugged as his reply.

Carmen made her way over to the island in their kitchen, stroking the hair of the little blonde girl sat on a barstool, "Hey, little J."

"Aunt Cami!" Judith exclaimed, a huge grin on her face. Carmen sat herself down on a barstool, turning to Rick.

"Is Carl still asleep?" He asked as he placed a plate with two slices of toast down in front of her.

Carmen dug in immediately, grabbing the toast and sinking her teeth into one of the corners. She hummed in pleasure, it tasted amazing, and to say Rick had made it was crazy.

"Uh, yeah. He's still...still asleep." Carmen chewed between her words. Rick looked down at her, sort of surprise in her face, "Is my toast that good?"

Carmen grinned, "Well, when you've been sleeping in a tent for a week and having to eat the same thing over and over again, it does get pretty boring."

Carmen had been helping Rosita keep things in order with the bridge, so she'd been sharing a tent with her for a week or so, eating the same food for about seven or eight days.

"I'm glad you're back. Carl has missed you. He tells me about it everyday." Rick chuckled, smiling between the two girls before him.

"Misses me? He's been working on that bridge everyday, and i've been with Rosita, making sure things are in order with the bridge, we're not very far apart." Carmen stifled a laugh.

"Well, you guys can spend all of today together, im giving you a day off." Rick nodded.

Carmen laughed, "What are you, my boss? I need to get back out there, Rosita wants my help."