008, survivor

chapter eight

chapter eight

THEY HAD been travelling in that fire truck for a while. They had managed to stop and bury Beth, which was a heartbreaking moment for everyone in that group. And Carmen had never seen Daryl, Maggie or Sasha so...distant.

Carmen had tried to talk to Maggie, but she just gave a very forced smile and nod, or just began to cry every time someone checked if she was ok. And that was understandable, Carmen would never want to loose her sister.

Noah had known about a place where it could be safe, where his family was supposedly residing. So Tyreese, Noah, Rick, Michonne and Glenn and gone off to check it out.

Carmen and Carl had gotten closer over the time in that fire truck, one because there was way to many of them in that group for them all to actually have privacy, and two because Carl was unsure on how he felt about her, so he thought that spending time with her would help him figure that out.

On their journey, the group had found lots of cars and broken down buildings where they went to search for supplies, so there was now a bit more space for a few of them.

Carmen hoped that this place would be the one. After the hope of Terminus, then Washington, now this place, she was done with being disappointed. But, the girl had learned from the first time to not get her hopes up.

Soon, the news came through that Tyreese was dead. And Carmen instantly broke down, the love that she had for Tyreese was unconditional, and she had known him long enough to begin to love him, so hearing the words 'Tyreese' and 'dead' in the same sentence was heartbreaking.

Carmen knew that Sasha would also be in a state. She had already lost Bob, someone she loved and cared for, and now she had lost her brother, someone she also loved and cared for.

Rick and the group tried to save Tyreese, but it was already too late. So now, they were burying him. Gabriel speaking words of the lord, and everyone coming forward one by one to say goodbye to him.

Everyone was sad from that day on. Especially Sasha. She wasn't one for breaking down or even showing emotion, but when Carmen hugged her without any words, Sasha cried until no more tears left her eyes.

The big question was, How could you bury more than one person in less than a few days? It just showed not the group, but the whole world what it was like in an apocalypse.

Everyone went off in the woods on their own. Maggie, Daryl, Sasha, Carmen. They were dealing with guilt, lots of it, and of course wouldn't know how to cope.

Maggie, Daryl and Sasha eventually found Carmen. Leaned against a tree, her knees to her chest, flicking the blade on her knife over her finger, it didn't bleed, it just scratched, but Carmen liked the feeling of it.

"Come on, kid." Daryl said, holding out his hand to motion towards him. Carmen lifted her head up, looking at Daryl with glossy eyes.

She got up, and followed him, looking between Sasha, Maggie and him. "No luck, huh?" She asked, peering down at the empty water bottles. "Nothin'" Maggie replied.