Justin Finch-Fletchly

"No way these two could ever actually learn from each other..."

"Now, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this little dueling club, to train you all in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I myself have done on countless occasions — for full details see my published works." He paused for a moment, smiling at the crowd of students who stood at him gawking. Yet unknown to him, students only gawk out of astonishment that one man could be so narcissistic.

"Let me introduce you to my assistant, Professor Snape," Said Lockhart, flashing a wide smile.

I looked over towards Calypso and stared warily at Lockhart. "Snape is his assistant?" I whispered to the girl, who merely shrugged.

"I don't have so much hope for this Lockhart guy. All his books are hogwash from what I've heard."

I nodded, along. I just thought Lockhart talked too much, I never thought he'd actually attempt to show his talents, if there even are any to begin with... Defense against the Dark Arts was supposed to be an interesting class, but so far all the teachers have failed.

A bright scarlet light followed by a loud crash cut me from my thoughts, and I saw Lockhart sprawled against the wall adjacent to the stage, slowly trying to regain his cognitive strength.

I jumped a bit from the noise but soon began laughing and cheering along with the other Slytherins.

"Serves him right," Said Draco, tapping me on the shoulder with a laugh.

I laughed along with him, for the man really did deserve it.

Lockhart unsteadily got back onto his feet, grabbing his hat which had fallen off of him. "Er — well there you have it kids!" He said, tottering back onto the platform. "That was the Disarming Charm — as you see, I've lost my wand — ah, thank you, Miss Brown — yes, an excellent idea to show them that Professor Snape, but if you don't mind me saying so, it was pretty obvious what you were about to do. If I had wanted to stop you, it would have been all too easy — however, I felt it would be instructive to let them see...'

Snape simply raised an eyebrow and sighed. "Perhaps," he began, "It would be more effective to teach them how to block unfriendly spells first..."

"Ah hah," Lockhart laughed awkwardly scratching the back of his neck. "I suppose I'd have to agree, er — Potter! Weasley! Come onto the stage for a quick demonstration, would you —?"

"I don't think so," Snape interrupted staring right at Harry the entire time. "Weasleys wand causes devastation with the simplest of spells... perhaps we should choose someone different — Mr. Malfoy, come over here. Let's see what you can make of the famous Harry Potter."

Draco looked over to me and smirked, strutting to the front of the room, adjacent to a not so very pleased Harry. "I think Snape picked these two for some simple laughs," I murmured. "No way these two could ever actually learn from each other..."

Blaise and Theo laughed, agreeing with me. "I doubt Draco will play fair though," Theo added. I couldn't help but agree. He was Draco after all...

Harry and Draco sent each other murderous glares while climbing onto the stage.

"Face your partners!" Called Lockhart, back on the platform. "And bow!"