Chapter 39: Did Not Believe

Narrator's POV

Winter started a week before Christmas. Camila was helping her mother at the cafe since she had not got any job yet. She did not have to learn anything at the safe since it was nothing new to her. She was there to kill her time by giving her mother a hand. Camila enjoyed it even though she wanted to experience something different. Normani told her that Lauren, Dinah, and she could get a job for her, but Camila rejected it. She just wanted to avoid Lauren.

Lauren and Camila did not meet again after that night at Normani's place. Lauren would send messages to Camila at least once a week. She sometimes would send an emoji to Camila instead of asking about her day or telling her that she missed her. Lauren did not give up, even though Camila read but ignored all her messages. She would do it as long as Camila did not block her number. She wanted to join Camila and Normani for the hike at South Hill two weeks before the winter started, but Camila denied it.

Lauren could have just insisted on coming, but she did not want to upset Camila. She did not want to make things worse. She also wanted to keep Normani and Camila's friendship good. It was beneficial for her and also for Camila's safety. She could protect Camila and get updated about Camila's news through Normani. Lauren was happy when she learned that Mariah and Anna visited Sinu's cafe at the beginning of December when they went to the city to get stuff. Lauren saw it as good that her trusted people were close to Camila.

Camila did not doubt that Lauren was constantly updated with her news through Normani. She did not mind, and she understood Normani's position. It crossed Camila's mind that Normani intentionally became friends with her for Lauren's sake, just like what Alexa mentioned. Camila saw the possibility, but she chose to believe what she saw and experienced herself from being friends with Normani. She believed Normani was genuine and did not have bad intentions.

Normani had told Camila about how she helped Camila after Lauren pushed her to the ground on the campus. She was there, and she saw it. She knew why Lauren did it and did not like Alexa so, she helped Camila up. Normani also told Camila how Camila survived falling off the cliff at South Hill. Camila felt silly for having no clue, but she did not see it as something planned. She trusted Normani had no bad intentions. It was proven that Normani, Dinah, and Lauren always protected her.

After passing the coffee to the customer, Camila welcomed another customer who was no stranger to her.

"Hi, Camila!" Lucy who was in her winter clothes, greeted Camila.

"Hi!" Camila was surprised. "What can I get for you?" Camila asked professionally.

"One gingerbread hot chocolate, please!" Lucy said and looked at the table area to find herself a table.

"Anything else?" Camila asked.

"One slice of the banana cake," Lucy added.

"To go?" Camila doubted. She was thinking about why Lucy came here and what she came here for.

"No. Dine in." Lucy made the payment.

"Alright, thank you!" Camila smiled professionally.

"Camila, can we talk?" Lucy came here to talk about something.

"I'm busy ..." Camila sighed subtly.

"Camila, please! There's something important I have to ask you." Lucy asked Camila politely. She did not insist. She knew if she insisted Camila would not talk to her.

"Okay, I'll prepare your order and find someone to cover me," Camila said.

"Okay, thanks!" Lucy settled at the table where she used to sit whenever she came here in the past.