Chapter 54: The News

Narrator's POV

The summer heat was gone as the color of the trees started turning their leaves to autumn color. Camila was lost in her job as Lauren disappeared from her life. Lauren no longer contacted Camila. She no longer texted Camila. It was not only Lauren, Normani also did not contact Camila anymore. Camila and Normani would greet each other when they saw each other in front of their houses. They were still friends, but they hardly hung out and exchanged messages like they used to be. Camila saw how Lauren and Normani were out of her life. It was not a pleasant thing, but Camila felt right about it.

Talking about the right thing, Camila did not know if low-key seeing her boss was the right thing. Camila and Dakota were casually seeing each other. They did not want to rush things, and they did not make their relationship exclusive yet. They just enjoyed what they had for now and would let things flow. They kept everything professional at work and kept everything casual outside work. They both agreed on this because they could not resist the attraction for each other, and Camila also confirmed to Dakota that she was not in any relationship. Things between them went well so far as they kept it low-key.

Camila told her mother about Dakota after her mother noticed that Camila spent time outside during the weekend more than at home, as she always did. It was only Camila's mother and Dakota's best friend, Blake, who knew about it. Sasha did not know about it even though she spent time almost every day with Camila and Dakota. She knew Camila's little crush on Dakota and noticed how the two sometimes exchanged weird looks, but she did not put much thought into it. She brushed it off as if it was none of her business.

Camila finished her lunch break on Thursday afternoon at the beginning of winter. She walked back to the office, heading to the elevator. She ran into someone she did not want to meet as she got onto the elevator.

"Camila!" She said when Camila walked into the elevator.

"..." Camila lost her words briefly. "Alexa!"

"I did not expect to meet you here! It's been a while." Alexa was accompanied by a girl who was her assistant.

"Yeah..." Camila tried to make the awkward conversation. "How are you?"

"I am good. Can't be better..." Alexa answered. "How are you?" Camila had not answered, Alexa continued. "Wait! Do you work at Mayi?"

"Yes." Camila did not bother to answer Dakota's previous question.

"I see. I saw the news." Alexa referred to the news about the kiss between Dakota and Camila in the summer.

"Oh..." Camila frowned, wondering why Alexa brought it up. She did not say anything as she did not want to carry on the conversation.

"I come here to see your boss," Alexa said. 

"Oh..." Camila did not know that. Sasha was usually the one who knew Dakota's schedule.

"Is she in the office?" Alexa asked.

"I am not sure I just got back from lunch," Camila said.

"We have made an appointment." Alexa assistant said.

Camila looked at the woman, "then, she should be available."

As they reached the office, Camila excused herself and the receptionist took Alexa and her assistant to the waiting room. Camila was back at her desk when Dakota and Sasha just finished their short meeting in Dakota's office. Emily came in and informed Dakota that her next guest had arrived. Camila frowned when she heard Alexa's name. Emily referred to Alexa as Ms. Ferrer. Camila went to the restroom when Emily brought the guests to Dakota's office. She was glad that Sasha was the one who joined the meeting, not her.