Chapter 57

A/n:  Iguro and Mitsuri incoming!!
Third person's pov

The sun has just set, leaving the sky in deep hues of orange and purple. Y/N, weary from her journey, walks along the winding forest path, her thoughts drifting towards home and rest.

"Almost home," She muttered encouraging words to herself. "A warm bath and Muichiro's happy face when he gets his furofuki daikon. Totally worth the trip."

Y/n had just completed a mission the previous night, but it took her the whole day to come home. Why? Because Muichiro was craving for his favourite food, furofuki daikon from a very specific store halfway across Japan. And being the loving girlfriend that Y/n is, she went to buy it for him.

In the distance, she noticed a familiar figure coming from the opposite direction. His black and white striped haori made it easy for Y/n to identify him, "Iguro-san!" she called out while waving her hand in the air.

His mismatched eyes widened in surprise, "y/n-san."

They closed the distance between them, and Y/N smiled warmly at the Serpent Hashira.

"Coming from a mission?"

"Mhm! What about you, Iguro-san?" Y/n returned with a question and extended her arm to Kaburamaru, who happily slithered on. "Where are you and Kaburamaru going?"

"We just came from a chat with Uzui," Iguro replied.  "He was talking about his retirement."

"Ah, I heard his plans," Y/n responded with a warm smile while gently stroking Kaburamaru scales. "After that intense fight against Upper moon 5 (akaza dead) in the entertainment district with his wives, senjuro, tanjiro and his friends. It is difficult for him to stay after his injuries."

"I refuse to accept it, but I can't convince him. However, I was surprised to see Senjuro when I arrived." Iguro added, "I heard you were the one that managed to train him."

"Senjuro requested to join the mission, along with Tanjiro and his friends." Y/n recalled the day Uzui arrived at the Butterfly estate to steal some manpower.

"Haha! I did train him, but only for a little. I played no part in his improvement, it was their father. You know him, right? Shinjuro Rengoku, the former flame hashira."

"I will never forget him." Iguro affirmed quietly, his tone respectful as he thought of his saviour (iykyk). "But I didn't expect to see him start guiding his sons again.The experience of nearly losing one of his sons must have profoundly affected him."

"It has, but I am glad that things are going well for them!"

"I agree." Iguro shifted his attention to what y/n held in her hand, "What do you have there?" he pointed.

"Oh, these? These are for Muichiro," Y/N explained, chuckling as she realised the lengths she had gone for someone she loved. "It took me half a day to travel there and get them."

Iguro's expression softened further as he listened. "You really went above and beyond for him, huh." he said, a hint of admiration in his voice as he thought of Mitsuri and how he wished he could openly show his love for her like Y/N did for Muichiro. "Where is he?"

"He is getting his sword fixed at the swordsmith village, I think he is coming back soon." Y/n answered as she adjusted her grip on the paper bag.

Just then, a flutter of wings caught their attention. Y/n's crow, c/n, typically perched nearby, suddenly descended with urgency, cawing loudly to get their attention.

Iguro's demeanour shifted instantly, alertness taking over. "What is it?"

a/n: Play "Don't blame me" by taylor swift!