Grilled Pork Belly

After receiving the order, Yuan Yichi arranged personnel on the same day.

  Those who are close can ask someone to deliver a message, while those who are far away have to arrange for someone to make a special trip. Those who are even farther away can only write letters. There is no other way because of lack of manpower, so this is the only way.

  No matter how hard they tried, they could only call a part of them. The others were far away from the capital and could not arrive in two or three days.

  But the wheat harvest could not be delayed, so he could only hire some temporary workers.

  *

  Farm in the suburbs of Beijing.

  The wheat ears have turned from light to yellow. When the slightly sultry breeze blows, the wheat ears sway in the wind, forming waves of wheat.

  Jiang Chuchu watched the tenant farmers and their temporary workers waving sickles in the fields, each of them busy harvesting wheat.

  These were jobs they were used to doing, and they could harvest skillfully with their eyes closed. The employer was not like the Zhou Paopi they had met before, who paid low wages and did not provide meals, and did not even give them time to say a word.

  So the temporary workers worked wholeheartedly and chatted while they worked.

  "Thanks to Mr. Yuan, if it weren't for him, we wouldn't be able to find such a good job."

  "Yes, yes. The wages are paid daily and lunch is provided. Where else can I find such a kind owner?"

  "Of course I did. I went to work for Wang's family before. They said lunch was provided, but it turned out to be a bowl of porridge, so clear that you could see the bottom of the bowl."

  "Luckily I didn't go. My cousin came back and said he was cheated and 10 cents was deducted from him before he left."

  The strong man complained, but he didn't stop working at all.

  A slightly thin man saw that there was no one around and interrupted curiously.

  "Whose owner is this? Why haven't we seen them hiring workers in previous years?"

  "It's from Marquis Gu's family."

  "Why haven't I seen them hire temporary workers before?"

  The thin man asked, somewhat puzzled, "Why are they suddenly recruiting workers this year? These nobles have countless servants, how could they be short of a few of our people?"

  "You don't understand this." The man continued, "That's because the master is the newly married wife of the second son of the Gu family, the eldest daughter of the Jiang family, the one who often gives out porridge outside the city."

  "I see. I see that the wheat in other families is not ripe yet and they are not hiring any workers. Is your family's wheat ripe yet?"

  "Not yet, my family has to wait another month." He looked at the thin man in confusion and said, "The reason why the Gu family's wheat matured so quickly is because they used fertilizer."

  Seeing that the thin man wanted to ask something, the strong man became suspicious.

  He immediately shut his mouth and refused to say another word.

  His family is a farmer nearby. During the slack season, everyone gets together to do odd jobs. If there is any good work, people who know each other will greet each other.