Poor Villagers

The father-in-law looked at the full grain, his eyes shining.

  If we keep such good grain as seeds next year, the yield will definitely increase a lot.

  After hesitating for a while, the old man chose food and cleaned up the two best rooms in the village.

  These two houses are not next to the road, but are located near the center of the village. One of them is the best house in the village chief's house. It was originally occupied by the village chief and his wife. After the house was vacated for them, the couple moved in with their son.

  There is a stone mill near the street. The whole stone mill is made of stone without any patterns, only a round and smooth wooden stick is inserted in the middle. It can be seen that it has been used many times and has been worn into this state.

  When women wanted to use a stone mill, they would simply place the wooden stick on their waists, hold the stick with one hand, and use the other hand to hold a broom to constantly turn over the things to be crushed.

  At the moment, the stone mill was empty. Jiang Chuchu just glanced at it and ignored it.

  There were only two rooms for their group of female relatives, and as there were too many people, they needed to squeeze in.

  No one minds going out, after all, when there are more people around, there’s a sense of security.

  There are no beds here, they sleep on the kang, which is a rectangular shape. The villagers usually sleep upright, but because there are so many of them, they decided to sleep sideways so that more people can fit in.

  The room was cleaned very well, except that the wall was a little dusty. Yiyun took some linen and spread it on the kang, then wrapped it around the wall connecting to the kang before taking out their bedding.

  Their bedding was made of the finest silk and cotton, and it was a pity to see it dirty and torn. However, these linens were worthless and were just the right size to use as bed covers.

  On the kang were Zheng, Azhu, Jiang Chuchu, Luzhu and Yiyun, all squeezed together in a very tight space.

  The village chief brought a straw mat on the ground, which was neatly spread out to separate the dust on the ground from the bedding. The maids spread their own bedding on the straw mat to make a simple small "bed".

  The maidservants of the Gu Mansion slept at the outermost part, while Shan Wanyong and the people from the escort agency sat on the ground and looked after the food and fodder they had transported.

  There were quite a few straw mats, all of which looked new, which reminded Jiang Chuchu of the semi-finished products she saw at the door...

  I'm afraid they made these up and are ready to sell them...

  "Give them some copper coins and consider it as our purchase." Jiang Chuchu didn't want these people to suffer, so she simply asked someone to get the copper coins for them.

  Seeing that the beds were made, Jiang Chuchu hurriedly brought Zheng and Azhu in, let them lie on the kang to rest, and she took people to prepare some hot meals.

  I've been traveling for such a long time and haven't had a proper hot meal for a long time. I just happened to have some free time today.

  She had food, pots and pans, but not enough water and firewood. Everyone had been traveling all day and was already tired. Jiang Chuchu didn't plan to let everyone collect firewood. She turned around and knocked on the door of the village chief's house, ready to buy some firewood from them.