Spiritual Spring Upgraded

The rooms in the backyard of the county government office had been cleaned up long ago. Jiang Chuchu and Zheng took people to rearrange them and settled down in Qingshi County.

  The food here is indeed not as good as that in the capital. Even in the county government, there are only some ordinary stir-fried dishes and snacks.

  People here have never seen anything slightly popular, let alone learned the craft.

  However, the cooking skills of these cooks are pretty good. Although there are fewer varieties, common pork and mutton are available.

  Because this place is close to the border, there are many families raising sheep, so there is more mutton available for purchase, which is far beyond what can be found in the capital.

  Except for Jiang Shian who went to the government office to handle affairs, Jiang Chuchu and others gathered together to eat and chat.

  "Is Big Brother so busy every day?"

  She was a little curious. As a manager, the most important thing was to make rational use of the people under her. This was a principle taught to her by her eldest brother. Why was she so busy?

  This made Xu feel a little emotional. "Qingshi County really can't stand the turmoil. A wrong decision can involve the lives of the people. Jiang Shian can't afford to be careless."

  She will always remember the first time she came here and saw the people of Qingshi County, she was so scared that she had nightmares for several days.

  So over the years, Jiang Shian was too busy to spend time with her, but she didn't mind. Instead, she understood Jiang Shian even more.

  "During my journey, I saw that although the people were poor, they were able to survive."

  Jiang Chuchu thought of the village where she settled. Although the people were poor, at least no one starved to death.

  "That's because my husband exempted taxes, and because of this, the higher-ups are unhappy." Once Xu started talking, she couldn't stop.

  On weekdays, she couldn't complain to Jiang Shian. There was no one around her who could understand her. The maids who could speak couldn't understand what she said, and the people who could understand her were separated from her by a layer and were not trustworthy.

  "We have to collect the tax next autumn. There is no other way. The government is extremely poor right now."

  Not only did they have to pay taxes to the imperial court, but they also had to pay monthly wages to yamen runners. All of this cost money, including county yamen maintenance and urban construction.

  After hearing this, Jiang Chuchu understood.

  Most of the land here is of low quality. Every household is lucky to have one or two acres of high-quality land. This results in low wheat yields, and the people cannot grow food. The only source of income is cut off. There are no specialty products here, and people can still have enough food and clothing without paying taxes. If they pay taxes, they will probably starve to death.

  Jiang Chuchu frowned and slowly put down her chopsticks.

  "Sister-in-law, do you know the approximate number of high-quality and low-quality lands, the yield per mu, how much land each household has on average, and what kinds of animals are generally raised here?"

  The number of fields is registered and in the files of the government office, but Jiang Chuchu has just arrived and has not had the chance to check them out.